herpetic whitlow spreading
I went to the doctor two days ago with several itchy spots on my hand.  He said he thought it was herpetic whitlow, but would not know until blood work came back next week.  He prescribed an antiviral medicine and some codine cough syrup for pain.  I also had a respitory infection.  Now after two days of meds, both hands are covered in panful itchy spots, my toes and bottom of feet are now covered, my nose is breaking out, bottoms of earlobes are getting spots, spots now forming on my legs and but and it seems to be starting to work up my wrist and arms.  Kind of freaking out.  I've never had genital herpes or cold sores.  Does herpetic whitlow spread to touched areas?  I can't find anything that says it spreads all over, just hands, rarely feet and nose, but no mention of contact spreading it to other areas.  I'm scared to pee or wipe my butt!  Does this sound like Herpetic Whitlow or should I go to the ER today for further diagnostics?  Should I quarantine myself??  I'm travelling for work and can't interact with customers if I'm covered with herpes but I'm scared to go home and spread to my kids.
Whitlow would only be one possibility amongst a few things. It would be unusual to see widespread whitlow as you describe as those areas have very thick skin are only rarely prone to outbreaks from herpes infection.

You need to continue to chase up on this on, particularly with swab and blood tests and see how you go. I think until you know more, not touching anyone is just a basic precaution. Is it possible to have an excuse and not shake hands... Poison ivy perhaps?