Herpes Community
how do i know which one i have hsv1 or hsv2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

When I was 15 I ran away from home for a couple weeks. During the last night I was there, I ended up sleeping with this guy using protection. The protection broke and I was unaware of it til after we finished. I came home and a week later I ended up in the urgent treatment center only to find out I had herpes. They told me that they would test me but becuz of the point I was in my outbreak they may not get a clear result but they knew by looking at it that was what it was.  I'm now 28 so this has been some 13 yrs ago.  I have had several other std tests done since then and to my knowledge none have ever given a positive result.   So my question is how do I know if I have simplex 1 or simplex 2.  My outbreaks have pretty much gone away for the last 5 yrs or so. But when I got them they were only in my genital area. I have never had it orally.  After several yrs with my fiance he finally got it to becuz we decided we would always be together and got careless about being careful.  He too only expirenced a few outbreaks like I and they were only on his genitals.  We practice oral sex and neither of us have ever gotten it orally.  I always thought that I had simplex 2 becuz it is genital but when recently talking to a friend who also has it I found out that I could be wrong. So I did some research and realized that both can live in either place and can make a difference when spreading it.  so could I have simplex 1 but only in my genitals which is why I have lil to no outbreaks. And if so why hasn't it spread to my mouth. Or could I have simplex 2 and it only lives in my body orally therefore it doesn't spread orally.   With no knowledge of having a positive test how could I find out which one I have.  And why its only in my genitals and the chances of spreading it both genital or orally. If info u may have would be great.  Thanks.   Mjj1122