Herpes Community
how is herpes passed?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

how is herpes passed?

I have genital herpes type 2, what I’m trying to figure out is who gave it to me. I have 4 guys that I have ever talked to or had any sexual contact. Two of them I never penetrated me, and they were both virgins like me at the time. This was a year before anything started happening.  The third guy was my first and we never really used protection then we broke up and the fourth guy was once with protection. After that I and the third guy got back together. We never used condoms. Except for one time, this is when i had my first outbreak. This was in the second year of us being together .We had used a condom and it got stuck, not know it was stuck we proceed without the condom on. A week later I had a very bad outbreak. Went to the doctor and he gave me antibiotics and it went away.ive just been tested and result showed that I tested positive for HSV. I talk to my boyfriend he said he did have it but we have been having unprotected sex for 3 going on four years. I have noticed a bump on the base of his pubic region, he said it was nothing but I don’t believe him. He showed me a paper from his doctor that showed what he had been tested for normal health things like ;sodium level,c02 total, cholesterol levels, potassium, etc) and a couple of STD’s were  listed like (trichomoniasis, HIV, Chlamydia, gonorrhea) those where the only ones listed and that said no antibodies detected. I did not see where they tested him for herpes and genital warts. So my question is who is more likely I got it from? If you are tested for everything would list of that u where tested for on the result sheet? Can a condom offer some protection against herpes? Can chafing of the skin on the penis be signs of herpes? Is it possible for me to have it and my partner not if we were having unprotected sex for over three years?
Let's address the first part of this.  You may never know unless one of your partners tells you.  HSV is passed by direct Skin to skin contact.  No other way.  Condoms do not fully protect from HSV.  They offer so but not a lot. The timing of your inital outbreak could point to the last partner during that time.  Typically HSV shows up 2-20 days after the exposure.  

HSV is not a part of typical STD testing.  Men can't get HPV testing as easily as women can be tested for it.  But HPV isn't that bothersome to begin with.  

It is possible for you to have HSV and your partner not get HSV if you avoid sex during outbreaks.  The best possible way to avoid this would be to use daily antivirals which will help keep your outbreaks low and heal fast along with helping to make shedding less of a concern.  

Feel free to keep asking questions.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers