Herpes Community
hsv 1 & oral sex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

hsv 1 & oral sex

quick question....  if I have had a well established hsv1  since I was a younger child..  and I have cold  sores on my mouth and my partner kisses me and then  performs oral sex on me,  can I get it in my genital region?
Also posted in your longer note.

The answer is overwhelmingly unlikely. This applies to kissing a HSV1 free partner or one with an infection who then goes down on you.
no... I have cold sores on my mouth and  my partner kisses me on the mouth...  he does not have cold sores but he kissed me on  the mouth when I had them and then performed oral sex on me.  
This doesn't make a difference, you chances of further infection are extremely low, not impossible but very, very low.

Perhaps best to not kiss during active lesions though for everyone's benefit.
so should I be worried... I've been stressing and crying all day
No I wouldn't be worried at all, there are far more important things to worry about in life than the extremely remote chance that you can be infected genitally with HSV1. It is just all so improbably compared to having a car accident or a major health issue befall you.

Let's also play a little logic out here. If in some extremely rare and freak event you become infected with genital HSV1 despite an oral infection then a few things are true. One is that you would probably never know and have 50% or more chance of never experiencing a genital outbreak. Second, you are only marginally more infectious to a non HSV1 person than you are already now through kissing and oral sex. Hence you are fearing something that is improbable that if it happens will most likely have no impact on you.
thank you so much.  but I was going back and looking at the conversation me and grace had and I guess I asked her this question.  she said it was a  defiant no you cannot get it from the way I explains to you.
It is only a theoretical chance, but not impossible. The odds are just too small to worry about.
could you give me like on percentage  scale.  what the odds  would be out if like one hundred
Well per episode you are talking 1 in many thousands. No one really has an estimate of this due to lack of research into this topic.
so pretty much the chances would be like me winning the lottery tonight haha?!?
For you and the 60% female population with HSV1!
60% of woman  have oral hsv 1
They sure do, it is a very common virus. So do 60% of men of course.
what did you mean by " per episode 1  out of a  thousand chance?"   Haha and if I win the lottery I'll share with Ya  haha