Herpes Community
hsv-1 positive diagnosed and showing adenopathy

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Recently i have been diagnosed with a genital hsv-1 infection. Started an topical acyclovir treatment that reduce my symtoms (symptoms) but the treatment ended before the sore disapeared, though it was quite smaller. Within days i started developing an abnormal and painful bump mistaken for an hernia, and then confirmed an inguinal adenopathy by an ultrasound study. I went back with my gyn and started a valacyclovir treatment that has been working very well, the sore has almost disapeared, but my adenopathy has not changed at all. My question is:
When will the swollen inguinal lymph nodes heal? will the situation change when the hsv sore heals? or will my body keep the inmuno-struggle with the virus? when should i start worrying for my non healed adenopathy?
thanks, i will be very thankful for your help
they can stay enlarged for weeks.

it's unfortunate that your provider gave you topical treatment for your genital herpes.  They are pretty much ineffective for genital herpes.  

how did they diagnose you as having genital herpes?

grace
Hi! thanks for your answer!
At first my diagnose was done by my gyn, an eye examination almost three weeks after i started feeling the first symptoms, i mistaken the sore and never thought it would be herpes.

I started reading and doing some research and i found out that eye examination was not that reliable and run to a lab and had a blood test, here in nothern Mexico there is no such thing as the swab test.

In the blood test i got an 2.00 Ul/ml on my IgG test for hsv-1 and a 0.37 Ul/ml on IgG test for hsv-2 . With these lab results i went to a dermatologist  and she told me i had a genital hsv-1 infection.

My boyfriend has the oral herpes but has never been to a doctor, nor has had a lab test. Whenever he has an outbreak he is very careful and put on a topical over the counter cream and that's it. We have our precautions when the ob rises, but we both didn't know he could spread the virus without having the ob. Maybe this is the way i contracted, but i guess i'll never be sure.

I've been on Valacyclovir for 8 days now, and with the inguinal adenopathy fifteen days now. Symptoms are milder, and coping with diagnose seams better now too.
actually you can't assume you have a genital hsv1 infection based on the testing you've had so far :(   A + blood test just tells you what you have, not where you have it and most folks will test + for hsv1 on blood tests whether they can recall ever having had obvious cold sores or not.   at this point, best you can do is if your genital symptoms reoccur, be seen promptly for a lesion culture and typing. lesion cultures for herpes are available throughout the world - it's just a matter of the provider knowing what to order from the lab.

your bf also should be tested for hsv2 to know his full herpes status too.

starting valtrex 3 weeks into things isn't going to do a whole heck of a lot either :(