Herpes Community
hsv-2 from oral sex?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

hsv-2 from oral sex?

Ok, so I posted earlier about potential herpes in my mouth. I woke up with swollen lips and three blisters on my upper lip on Thursday morning. The past 2.5 days its gotten worst. Sores all over the inside of my mouth.

I went to an urgent care today. I first saw a nurse practitioner that thought it was a yeast infection in my mouth. She then got a second opinion and brought a doctor in. The doctor first started asking me if I've ever chewed tobacco which I haven't. He then got on the herpes topic and said since there are so many it looks like herpes.

I then told him I did research on the internet, and it said that you only get this bad outbreak inside your mouth if its your first time being infected. I've had cold sores before so its not my first time. Since 'oral herpes' and 'cold sores' is HSV-1, does this mean I got HSV-2 inside my mouth?

I have no genital symptoms. I did have a weird eye infection earlier this week. If I do HSV-2 inside my mouth, does this mean I'm about to get it on my genitals?

He seemed unsure with what it was and just said herpes. He also didn't take a mouth swab. Should I have gotten it tested to confirm?
I would most definitely have a swab taken and have it tested using PCR for HSV1 and HSV2.

You seem quite confident that you have had HSV1 for sometime. That being the case means that the two most likely explanations are that is is not herpetic followed by that it is a HSV1 outbreak. Given the circumstances you describe, it is close to impossible that the outbreak is being caused by HSV2. This is for a few reasons, first you already have HSV1 orally, there isn't 'room' for HSV2 and second, you have HSV antibodies that would address HSV2 and result in only a minimal if even noticeable outbreak.

Seek the swab and follow up with IgG antibody testing 16 weeks after the episode.
I also would not suspect that it is HSV-2, but I don't remember your previous post, so I don't know whether you mentioned having had oral sex recently. Everyone's symptoms present differently, based on their immune function. Standard behavior doesn't always apply in every case.

I also think it's imperative that you get the bumps swabbed immediately, Uunfortunately you may have waited too long, and you risk a negative result. Go anyway, Insist on a swab, and that they identify the specific type of HSV. You might also request a reliable blood test, probably the more  accessible IgG type-specific blood test, to determine whether you already have antibodies to HSV antibodies in your system.

This could be an HSV-1 recurrence made severe by something else going on in your body. It could be a first infection of HSV -2, if you had a recent encounter. If it is the latter, it will not cause you to develop genital HSV-2 in the future. The virus does not cross the waistline inside the body. You would have to contract genital HSV-2 externally before protective antibodies fully form.

Finally – this could be as simple as a staph infection. Ask your doctor to rule out everything. Meanwhile, hang in there, my friend. There's no reason to worry, until there's something to worry about.
thanks, you all have made me feel better.