Herpes Expert Forum
hsv-2/maybe a false positive.

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

hsv-2/maybe a false positive.

Hello, Im going through a very devastating ordeal in my life. I found out a few days ago i have hsv-2. The test that was done, was done through quest diagnostics. i was completely stunned by this. my igg index was 2.55. I know i have hsv-1, i had it since i was a child. I had a baby about a year ago and experienced no outbreaks whats so ever. I never experienced any outbreaks in the genital region. While i was in labor i had a hsv-1 outbreak,(cold sores), and even during pregnancy i had an abcessed tooth,but not a hvs-2 outbreak, which is also confusing. i would have contracted this disease before i was pregnant. Wouldnt the pregnancy have weakened my immune system allowing for an outbreak to occur, as it did with my hsv1 and abcess (abscess) tooth? Could this be a false positive result? i havent had sex since i found out i was pregnant, which is almost 2 years ago. I tried to reach out to my doctor to get the wetsern blot, because she refused. i looked into getting the biokit, but its not offered in my state. Im at my end, very sad and depressed. i dont know where to turn to to get the results i need..
You should most definitely have a western blot.  At that particular level, half of the positives are false positives.  You can order a test kit from UW for this and have you blood drawn by your own doc or you can become a patient of my clinic (on the phone) and we will order it for you.

I think there is a good chance that if you were really infected you would have had an outbreak during your pregnancy, yes, but that can't be the only way you can determine this.

Terri
Thanks so much for responding. I called your clinic yesterday and i actually have a phone consultation with you this Tuesday May 7. The Western Blot seems like the smartest choice in this situation.

Thanks Alot
Good.  

Terri