hsv 2 valuve 2.54
I recently tested positive for hsv2 with a 2.54 value, my doctor said I was postive because anything over 1.0 is postive using type specific Herpeselect IGG. I asked her could I retest and she replied it wouldnt do any good because shes only send 1 person who's results (2) test came back neg; she said if I like i could test in about 6mos. Six months is like a lifetime plus 100 years anyway she wanted to put me on suppresive thearpy but i refused. Ive never had an outbreak no sore no lessions nothing, she said it could resemble a yeast infection. Could i have a false postive, should I retest earlier somewhere else since she dont want to do it til 6mos?

Used HSV1/2 IGG, Hereselect type specific ab
* my results HSV 1 IGG >5.0 and HSV 2 IGG 2.54

can some please shine some light on my situation
your hsv2 igg is a low positive and needs confirmed with further testing. Since you aren't having lesions to get cultured, a herpes WB blood test is the preferred way to confirm your status. If your provider uses quest labs it's test #34534.  It's a send out at all quest labs so if your local lab is having a hard time finding it suggest that so that they look at tests that are sent to the U of washington lab.  

There are definite false positive issues with the herpes igg blood tests. it's well worth confirming all low positives to make sure that they aren't false positives.  This is advice provided by the CDC in their 2010 herpes guidelines and you might want to encourage your provider to review them to increase their knowledge of herpes testing to better serve their patients.

grace
Thanks!! I will speak with my doctor and share this info...I really think at times there is a lack of knowledge of current information.
Read my last post.  I had 2 positive herpesselect tests, so don't have another one of those.  Get the Western Blot. Mine came back negative.  I had my dr, a nurse practitioner, and the lab guy all tell me that I should believe the herpesselect test.  The nurse even prescribed acyclovir which I took for 3 weeks.  Don't believe anyone.  Get the WB!!
Thanks for info...what were your numbers on the herpeselect and how long did you wait to take the WB test?
On Dec. had a 2.17, on Jan. 9 a 1.89.  I found a lab to send in the WB on Jan 13 or so and got the negative result on Jan 27.  Do it as soon as you can.  My life was hell for that time.   Your dr should be able to do it, but i didn't want anyone to know.  I tried the public clinic, but they never heard of it and couldn't be bothered.  They just gave me a prescription for acyclovir which I took for 3 weeks.  You have to watch out for yourself in this country I guess.
Thanks again you guys give me hope and im going to look for a lab to do the test also kinda dont want to go back to my doctor...she may say its too early. THANKS AGAIN
I was tested for herpes I &II igg but had low positives I'm waiting  4wks to be retested (hsv igg 2.54=herpeselect)...can a vaginal discharge be a sign or symptom of herpes? On the day I recieved my results which was the 27th of Jan she treated me for BV and Yeast..metro gel (5day) and 2 diflucans (before/after gel)...how long does it take for the infections to heal? The discharge is not heavy i just notice it mainly at night or when I wake. I still havent had any signs or symptoms of herpes never have...ive even started checking with a mirror daily to see if i can notice any changes down there...none. Anway just still worried and anxious about this whole situation... Can this discharge be a sign?
wait at least 2 weeks before being seek again if the discharge is still there.  

if you were properly tested and found to have yeast and bv, no reason to think it's not those.

Had my WB test done last thurday got my results back today 02/23/12 and it was positive for hsv 1 but NEGATIVE for hsv2. Thanks for all the support and information; this experience have made me think more of being selective and practicing safe sex...heck I'm done with sex for awhile.

Thanks again