Herpes Community
hsv suppresive meds...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

hsv suppresive meds...

I recently found out that I contracted hsv1/2 from my past ex girlfriend. Its not clear as to how long these antibodies has been in my system as I have never had a outbreak. I found this out after meeting my current girlfriend. Before having unprotected sex with my new girlfriend we would use condoms all the time until we were comfortable then we stopped using them. Shortly after us not using protection is when I was contacted by my ex and she told me she was tested positive for hsv and I should go get tested. I told my current girlfriend about the unfortunate situation,so we both went to get tested. Her test came back negative and of course mine came back positive. We both still want to be with each other but want to take the best precautions to avoid passing it on to her. Of course condoms is going to be reintroduced back into our relationship. However, I wanted to know what are some other preventitive methods that can be used? We both read many articles and testimonies from other serodiscordant couples, but we still have questions that we seek answers from a professional. If hsv2 is lying dormant in my system and if I were to take suppressive therapy such as valtrex, would it flare up and cause an outbreak before the meds actively attacked and suppressed it? (ie: when you take the flu shot, it gives you the flu before it actually works) Also, would my girlfriend need to take suppressive therapy eventhough she tested negative to lower the risk of transmission? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance!!
How were you tested?  Can you get us the results and the name of the test.  I have a feeling you were not tested properly.  
Your gf taking suppressive therapy won't lower her risk of infection.  You taking it though would reduce her risk of infection by 1/2.

If you can call tomorrow and ask them to read your test results to you, write them down and post them here?  All I need to see are the actual numeric results - e.g. hsv1 igg 5.9 and hsv2 igg 3.4 or whatever they are. then I can be sure you were properly tested and see if you need additional confirmatory testing done.  

The hereps handbook is a terrific ( and free ) resource online at www.westoverheights.com.  If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend doing so for both of you.  

also the flu shot doesn't actually give you the flu. It stimulates your immune system to make temporary protection against influenza.