Herpes Community
hsv2 and oral sex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

hsv2 and oral sex

I have a bf and we both have herpes but we didn't get it from each other.. We have sex unprotected and have been for 6 months now.. At first i was having outbreaks back to back but for about 3 months now I haven't or if i do i can easily feel it coming and take a pill or two and it goes away with no blisters or anything.. so I was wondering what risk is there of spreading herpes orally if i perform oral sex with him??? I would think that it would cause me to have it on my mouth and what not but the thing about it is that when i got genital herpes aabout a year ago i performed oral sex with the guy that transmitted it to me so i dont understand y i didnt have blisters or anything on my mouth or anything.. do you think its possible that i have it and just dont have the signs or what??
How were both of you diagnosed as having genital herpes? Have you both had testing done to know if you had hsv1 or hsv2 prior to meeting?

You should probably follow up on this with your provider and make sure that there isn't something else going on. Vaginitis, either yeast or bacterial , can cause ob's as well as mimick them as well as perhaps it's just a lack of lube too. Did you both get full std screenings to rule out other std's prior to starting to have unprotected sex?

You can have oral sex as long as you aren't performing them on active lesions.

grace
yes when i had my initial outbreak i went to the clinic on my college campus and they did  aculture of a lesion i had and came back positive for genital herpes i also had testing for other stds and hiv and all and came back positive for chlymidia(spelling?) also... so the herpes wouldnt spread to my mouth and cause an outbreak even if i do it and there aren't any lesions?.. and just to clear things up I have hsv 2 and my current bf does too... when i originally got it from an older bf i performed oral sex so my question is could i have hsv1 also and just not have any signs of it??
Hsv2 stays hsv2 regardless of location. It can't turn into hsv1 just because it's oral.

Only about 3% of all oral herpes infections are due to hsv2. It's not likely that you have it orally especially since you haven't had any signs of it.  If you and your bf both have hsv2 for sure then you both have significant protection from contracting it orally.

grace
ok so there is really no risk of contraccting the hsv2  orally bc have different strands we didnt get it from each other. I mean I don't know if that is a factor or not..

the risk is far too low to do anything other than just the common sense of not performing oral on active genital lesions.

grace