Herpes Expert Forum
hsv2 testing recommendation

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

hsv2 testing recommendation

Terri,
I have been given a lot of very helpful information on herpes from Drs. Hook and Handsfield. I was concerned about my risk after ending a relationship. After telling them my story, age, sexual history, etc,  they both said this was not something I should worry about any longer. Dr. H recommended hsv2 testing for pure peace of mind, while Dr. Hook suggested against it because he said many of the hsv2 blood tests have false positives ( even the Igg antibody specific tests like HepresSelect) I was wondering what your take on hsv2 testing is. I want to take good care of my health, but I also dont want to be unnecessarily anxious should I be one of those who tests in the range of 1.1-3.5 for hsv2....which is most likely a false positive? Any further information would be appreciated. What are the possibilities of getting false positives with the igg specific tests. Is testing even worth it? Thank you
I think it would be worth testing for your peace of mind.  

We've done the herpeselect testing in our clinic since 2007 and test about 25 samples a week.  We have accumulated all that data, and looked at the number of low positives (1.1 to 3.5).  At our clinic, and this has been consistent over each of the year since 2007, 5.5% of people test in the low positive range, which means that almost 95% of people get a clear yes or no.  For those who test in the low positive range, we order the herpes western blot test reflexively.  Of the 5.5% who fall into the low positive range, about half are true positives, confirmed by western blot and half are false positives.  

I hope that helps with your decision making progress.

Terri
Terri,
I also had one more question about a possible symptom. Yesterday I noticed a very very small, mayyybbeee 1 mm (could be less), cut on my perineum. Its so small that its hard to discribe, I dont think I would call it a cut or fissure...but maybe a tear. There is no redness,pus, swelling, blisters, pain, etc. and its flush witht he skin. I almost went to the Dr but didnt becuase I wondered if he would even be able to see it. Do you think this is a symptom of herpes. Please refere to my posts with Drs. Hook and Handsfield if needed. Thank you so much.
I really don't know.  If it 1mm or less, I doubt it, but just can't be certain from a distance.

Terri
A related discussion, Captia was started.