Herpes Expert Forum
hypochondriac about herpes

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

hypochondriac about herpes

Hi Terry, I am a 31y M who had vaginal unprotected sex 10 days ago with a female that I have known for many years.  We did have sexual intercourse about 3 years ago which was also unprotected.   She has told me that she has tested negative about 1 year ago but over the last year she has had two new sexual partners which she had protected sex with.  I have tested negative on a full STD screening back in March 2013 and have never had any cold sores.  About 2-3 days after the encounter, I started to have very vague symptoms, both general and around my penis.  I have not had any lesions or anything that is suspicious on or around my penis but have felt this vague burning/hot sensation at the glans (glands) of my penis.  Also, sometimes it FEELS as if I am having discharge but when I look, there is nothing there.  (I had similar symptoms many years ago after I over-vigorously washed my penis with antibacterial soap after unprotected sex and some of the soap had gotten into my urethra).  I did vigorously wash the area after the last sexual encounter with chlorhexidine-based wash product as well.  I'm thinking maybe this symptom has something to do with that but I am a hypochondriac when it comes to these things.
Additionally, I have had vague generalized symptoms of mild subjective fever and chills (but when I take a temp at home I don't have a fever), very mild malaise, and have had no appetite in the last few days and felt mildly nauseated but did not vomit or anything.
My question to you is, are these constellation of symptoms a prodrome of herpes or some other STD?  I'm thinking, it's been about ten days and if I'm persistently having general symptoms like this, then shouldn't I have lesions on my penis if it was genital herpes?  I know it's too early for me to get blood tests because so I am very anxious about the whole situation.  I am closely examining my genital area many times a day expecting for lesions to start showing up.  Please help thanks.
No, these symptoms do not sound like herpes.  Your generalized symptoms just don't fit with herpes infections.
Both of your sound like you've been tested pretty regularly.  Do you know if your testing included herpes testing?  It would be good for you to check on this.  Not all STD screens include testing for HSV.  
And yes, I would believe that if you really had herpes, you would have at least some skin symptoms by now.  
The irritation that you describe does sound like it could be from the extensive chemical washing that you describe.  These things can be very irritating to the urethra, as you can read from other posts that are here.  

Terri
My STD screen included HSV 1 and 2.  I don't know about hers though.  
Today, however, I did notice a tiny little white bump on the shaft of my penis, it was so small I could bare see it, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 mm.  Doesn't hurt.  Should I be worried about this?
No, I don't believe so.  Not if it is that small and you get no more of them

Terri
Thank you for your response Terri.  Lastly, the glans (glands) of my penis still feels hot, almost like it's on fire.  Urethral irritation can cause this kind of symptom for this many days?  Thanks
That seems unlikely, but I can't say for sure.

Terri