Herpes Community
hypochondriac or real scare?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

hypochondriac or real scare?

I am re typing my earlier post now that I have more time and a computer. On October 9th, late at night I had a one night stand with a girl I met at a bar. I received oral sex and had intercourse both while wearing a condom. I had felt a bump on her torso (stomach area) and that was where my original fears began. Being a hypochondriac, I began looking up symptoms the next day. A day and a half later, I noticed under my penis, from the scrotum to a little ways under the head was slightly red, which I was thinking must be from either sex or masturbation. By the following Sunday, I noticed my legs were sore up to my buttocks (5 days later).  The next day I awoke, legs no longer sore all over but controlled just to my inner thighs. The next day it was a little less, and by Tuesday night they were completely fine. On Wednesday morning I woke up with a very slight soreness in my right buttocks with no other symptoms. On Thursday the pain there was almost non existent. I began to feel a bit relieved. However, while getting into my car, I felt as if I tweaked something in my lower back. I am not sure what kind of pain is associated with herpes in the lower back, however, it was hard to bend down, and also carry heavy things. It remained that way until I went to sleep. I happen to sleep on my left side on my hip (the side of the back pain.) I awoke because it definitely irritated it and it felt as if the pain may have been traveling down a little lower near my left buttocks while lying on it. I woke up, stretched, went back to bed. Today is day 10 since the encounter. Today, I feel better, no obvious pains or soreness. The red mark on me is exactly the same as it has been, red. No itch, no burn, no bumps, just the same skin but a little red. Thank you to anybody that has taken the time to read and could possibly give me input or their opinion on the situation. It has been causing me great stress.
Steve
A bump on her torso is most unlikely to be HSV1 or HSV2. I'd consider this independent of whether she does or doesn't have genital herpes.

Even in the unlikely event she has genital herpes and more unlikely event she was actually shedding sufficient copies of the virus then protected sex on all fronts has greatly reduced this micro chance.

What you describe doesn't strongly align with herpes as opposed to other more general issues you may experience in every day life.

If you have particular concerns, including another partner you'd rather keep very safe, perhaps follow up with 12 week testing explicitly for herpes.

Thank you for your time and input Fleetwood! Although my friends have told me I may be over thinking things it is very nice to hear that and speak to somebody who is knowledgeable and willing to help others. I was concerned about the legs only because I had not been involved in any strenuous activity which may have caused it, although I can see how that type of things could go un noticed. I will get a test in 12 weeks and most definitely keep you updated.

Steve
Just a quick question, if these were symptoms of herpes, I am likely to have some visible symptoms as well? Ie, any sores ? The red spot, by now would have at least developed into something more, right? Sorry, as unlikely as it may be, I cannot get over these strange leg / lower body aches. Is it likely to only have body aches and no further symptoms in an initial outbreak?
It is more the case in my view that without sores in the overwhelming number of situations the symptoms are caused by something else. It is rare but not at all impossible to have some vague general symptoms like back pains and leg pains as the only symptoms of herpes. However for the entire pool of people who present with these symptoms, only a tiny fraction have herpes.
I guess my concern was that these symptoms are the ones that lead to sores? Sorry to keep bothering you, thanks.
I am not one that experiences atypical symptoms, but based on my understanding the symptoms don't really resolve over time to sores. The tingling which I experience indicates the red base is already just starting to form and this means that sores (little bumps and blisters) are only hours away. Not everyone has the same experience, but I believe a hell of a lot do.