Herpes Community
igM +, no symptoms, vulvar pain

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

igM +, no symptoms, vulvar pain

So I've been going back and forth between doctors with symptoms of burning and stinging in my vulvar vestibule and urethra, incessant urge to urinate, and low grade fevers. I got tested for Hsv 2 through separate labs using iGM antibodies twice (2-3 weeks apart) with results of first 2.53, then 2.25. Both igG tests were negative. I'm confused because I haven't engaged in any high risk behavior in the past year. So I guess my questions are (1) Can HSV II be causing my vulvar aching even without any sores? (2) Can HSVII remain latent in the body for 2-3 years, with first outbreak occurring w/ no prior igM or igG upregulation?

Thanks!
Tags: HSV, igm, vulvar pain, burning
herpes igm testing is greatly flawed and we don't recommend it being used. a + igm result for herpes doesn't really give you any answers at all.

when did you last have any sexual contact?  do you ahve a regular partner?

grace
I've been with the same person for a year and a half. I had abstained from sex for the past two months in response to the symptoms. My doctor put me on valacyclovir 1gm/daily after receiving the igM +s. I recently noticed some very small cuts on my vulva. I applied hydrocortisone to the area and it feels slightly better. Doctor put me on Vesicare 10 mg as well, but I still feel the urge to urinate after I void my bladder. He's sending me for a pelvic MRI next.
there wasn't a good reason to start valtrex based on a + igm :(

has your partner been tested yet to know their status? if not, that's your next step. absolutely no way it's a recently acquired infection if your partner is negative.

also herpes won't cause these sorts of symptoms for this long.  I recommend seeing a vulvodynia specialist if you can find one, at the very least a urogynecologist for a consult at this point.  
also topical estrogen or even just a barrier cream like aquaphor is probably a better choice for cuts in the skin than a topical steroid. steroids just further thin the skin and aren't really made for our sensitive genital skin. you don't want to add to your problems.  you need a prescription for the topical estrogen from your provider but first be seen to make sure that you don't have a vaginal yeast infection causing the skin tears. if there is a general thinning of the genital skin, applying topical estrogen regularly for a few months is also a good idea. It is often helpful with genital pain issues like this too.