Herpes Community
immunization

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

immunization

I have herpes and would like to protect potential partners.  Is there an immunization available for men?  If not what is the best way to protect a partner?
There is no immunization at all for HSV.  Men or Women. Where do you have herpes and what type of herpes is it?  We can help you best that way.
I thought I read something about a study at NIH in 2008.  Did nothing come of that?  I have genital herpes.  I don't know what kind.  My gynocologist said that taking the medication profilactically would prevent outbreaks and minimize contagian.  I have been widowed for some time now and only recently started being interested in finding a partner.  I really would like not to give this to someone and I am afraid that any potential partner would not be interested if he knew about it.  But I don't want to be dishonest.   Any ideas?
I'm assuming you are referring to the herpevac vaccine trials which were a total bust.

if you are female and have hsv2 and have a male partner who is hsv2 negative, if you take daily suppressive therapy with valtrex, avoid sex when you have anything going on genitally and also use condoms, the average risk to your partner is 1%/year of contracting hsv2 from you.

how were you originally diagnosed as having genital herpes? do you have hsv1 or hsv2?  has your new partner been tested to know their status?

grace
I don't know which kind I have.  I just spoke with my gynocologist who gave me much the same information.  She said it didn't matter which kind I have and that most people my age have been exposed to something anyway.  

Any ideas on how to present the problem to a prospective partner?  I plan to take the preventive dose before becomming active.
well yes knowing your type of herpes does matter quite a bit. You and a partner can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take together until you know who has what.  assume nothing is my motto when it comes to herpes status.

you and your new partner should both seek out type specific herpes igg blood tests to see who has what and go from there.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/15788/Help--How-to-talk-to-your-partner-about-STDs?personal_page_id=2329  is a journal post by auntiejessi that I highly recommend reading. it talks about how to approach talking about std testing and std's in general with a partner.  I think it's important to keep in mind that we all talk about all of this, just not the herpes we know we have so that we are properly covering our bases :)