Herpes Community
is a cold sore considered herpes ?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

is a cold sore considered herpes ?

ive had cold sores since i was a little some people told me that cold sores were the same as herpes, but i thought that herpes is an std, am i wrong?
I would appreciate it if someone would clarify this for me, Thank you for your time everyone.
Oral herpes, also known as cold sores, is in fact caused by HSV, the herpes simplex virus. Yes, genital herpes is caused by the same virus as well. Genital herpes is considered an STD because it requires sexual contact to transmit it (although oral herpes can be transmitted to your partners genitals via oral sex, and at the point if transmitted would be genital herpes).

You can read more about oral herpes here:

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_oralherpes.cfm