Herpes Community
itching wont stop

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

itching wont stop

I believe I have Genital herpes, about 3 weeks ago I had my first outbreak a since have been taking valtrex and was putting an ointment on the sores to help me out. the sores have gone away and almost all of the scabs have fallen off but for the past 3 or 4 days I have been having a lot of itching around the genital area. I would like to know if this is a sign of another outbreak? should I keep taking valtrex (400mg)? or is this normal after the first outbreak?
thanks.
A few questions first- 1) Were you diagnosed with genital herpes? and 2) Are you taking Valtrex only during outbreaks or everyday for suppressive therapy?
If you recently acquired herpes, outbreaks might occur frequently, usually no more than once a month.  I'm not sure if the itching you are experiencing is a sign of another outbreak (3 weeks is a little soon, but I'm not sure if impossible)...I guess you will find out soon enough.  If you keep taking the Valtrex, your outbreaks will probably be less frequent and heal sooner.
Best,
Em
how do you even have a prescription for Valtrex based on thinking you have herpes? Did a Dr. see you?
yes I did see a doctor and at the time he said it looks like herpes but beside the valtrex he also gave me some atibiotics and a shot of antibiotics because I had some discharge comming out of the tip of the penis. I saw the doctor a week after i had the outbreak. then he scheduled to see me again 2 weeks after. I saw him 2 days ago and I am much better now no more scabs or blisters. I am having some blood work done  to see what type of herpes I have.
My only concern now is the itching the valtrex was only to take during the breakout not the once daily. and every day the itching is reduced a bit but when it starts to itch it kills me and I am afraid to scratch it thinking it may make things worse.
any idea if it may be a new break out?
This thing has been itching for over 3 weeks? Hmmm, that would be very atypical for herpes.. When you get the blood test done please let us know what it is!! I doubt it is herpes if the lesions are gone and the itchinness is still there.
Your doc should have done a viral culture of your lesions to confirm that you do have herpes (and what type for that matter).  Next time you have an outbreak, I would recommend getting the viral culture - it is more accurate than the blood test.
Best,
Em
More accurate then an IGG Test????? Hmmmm, Grace, care to chime in?
Valtrex doesn't come in 400 mg dosages.
When you saw your provider a few days ago did you mention the non-stop itching?

Males are very prone to jock itch.  Just because you might have herpes , doesn't mean that everything that goes on in the genital area has to be due to herpes.  Just all itching and no obvious lesions for this long is more likely to be something else.  You were given antibiotics originally too which can lead to the fungal infection aka jock itch too.  

When you had your original diagnosis - did they do any testing for herpes or just a looksee and hand you meds?  Have you had a blood test or a lesion culture at all yet to know your type?

grace
I did have a culture taken at the time of the lessions and my blood work just came in this week as well. The test result says under test description HSV 1, 2 Antibody 1gG and under test results it shows the number 7.2.
What can I tell from that??? any body know??
Regarding the itching it has now decreased almost completely and no new lessions have showed up so I guess it might have been something not related to the herpes.
If you just got 1 result for both hsv1 and hsv2 then you probably didn't have a type specific test done. Please check your results and see if the 7.2 was specifically for one type or the other.

grace
I've been diagnose with hsv about 2 weeks ago I've found out that the meds and putting vitamin e oil on the sores helps with the burning pain. My scabs are healing and itch like hell I too am looking for a solution for the itching..