Herpes Community
low igg positive result - do I tell my partner or wait for confirmation...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

low igg positive result - do I tell my partner or wait for confirmation

I've read a number of the posts regarding the not insignificant possibility of false positives with results from the ELISA select test that fall between 1.1 and 3.5 for HSV 2.  I recently received a positive test result of 1.85. I was not tested for HSV 1.  Like many, my doctor administered this test as part of a general STD screen and I was surprised and dismayed to get the result.  I recently started seeing someone and although we haven't had sex, things are moving that direction.  I am trying to get a Western Blot to confirm the result, and until I get that result I don't plan on having sex.  My question is the following: what are your views on whether at this point, I should tell my partner about my test results.  Should I tell her I "might have herpes, but the results I received aren't viewed as definitive."? Given the number of false positives that have been discussed, would it be reasonable to tell her that I don't know my herpes status currently, so we should wait to do anything that might put her at risk until I get my results.  I guess the thing is, knowing how freaked out this has made me, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable telling someone that I might have herpes since it just seems to really unclear at this point if I actually do.  I don't want to get my hopes up, but based on everything that I've read, these results are pretty equivocal.  Again, given that I received a low positive result, and I am pursuing confirmation testing, do I have an obligation to tell my partner about the current test results?
Just say, I'm getting further testing done to know my status for sure.  I would not say anything to her until you know your status for sure.  It's more difficult for you to say, I might have herpes, but I might not, depending on this other test, etc etc.
here's the thing - you two should be talking about std's , testing and past std history. it's as much about your protection for when you start having sex as it is theirs!!!  Use this is a way to start the conversation - let them know you recently were covering your bases with full std testing before things went further for the two of you and low and behold, your herpes testing has come up in the low positive range so now you are pursing additional testing to see if you have a true positive. odds are they have never been tested for herpes either to know their own status so it's a good way to bring up the topic so you can both get full std testing and cover your bases.  

how long prior to your  herpes igg blood testing had you last had sex?

grace
My last potential exposure was about 5 weeks ago, when I had unprotected vaginal and oral sex with someone.  However, I have had potential exposures other times as well within the past year. I have no reason (other than the alarmingly high prevalence of herpes generally) to think these partners had herpes, but as has been noted, lots of people get STD screens that don't include herpes specifically so really who knows.  

Also, regarding putting her at risk...my current partner and I haven't had intercourse but have engaged in mutual masturbation and I have gone down on her.  Are these high risk activities?
you can't confirm your status until 4 months after you last had sex with someone.

mutual masturbation isn't a risk for std's. oral sex is a risk for std's.  

did you both talk about std's and such yet?
We have spoken about STDs, though at this point really only about my current status which is unclear.  Regarding confirmation testing, and recognizing that I really need to wait until four months from my last potential exposure to be more certain that I haven't contracted herpes, I have a question - my doctor is convinced that the HSV1 and HSV 2 igg immunoblot is the same thing as the Western Blot.  Is that correct?  Does the immunoblot offer the same level of accuracy for confirmation testing purposes as the Western Blot. Furthermore, she has basically refused to order the Western Blot for me to confirm the low positive result I have already received with the ELISA select.  Its been frustrating.  Anyway, if these tests are different, are there some resources you could point me to that I could provide my doctor?
no, the immunblot is the same test was the herpeselect - just is done a different way in the lab. it still has the same false positive issues too.  

the CDC 2010 herpes guidelines have terrific info on confirming status as your provider can also call the folks at herpeselect and talk to a professional there too.