Herpes Community
lower back / hip pain and herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

lower back / hip pain and herpes

In February, I started having burning, itching and the need to urinate frequently. This began a long line of visits to doctors' offices and little idea of what is going on with my body. Lower back and hip pain on the right side added to this shortly after. Then pressure and pain inside the rectum and vagina began. In addition to numerous visits to my primary care doctor, I have been in to see several gynecologists, a urologist, proctologist and was recently referred to a pain doctor and physical therapy. The physical therapy does very little. I have been seeing a chiropractor with little relief as well. Now the pain doctor wants to do injections in the lower back. About three times in the last few years I have had a sore right above the peridium. My primary care doctor has taken a swab test for herpes in this area and near the rectum and both came out negative. Currently, I have a visible blister at the entrance of the rectum. Since this pain I begged my gynecologist to do a blood test for herpes. This blood test came out positive that I had been exposed but none of the doctors believe my problems are caused by herpes because there are no obvious blisters or lesions they have seen. I have been with my husband for nine years and he has had no symptoms representing herpes. I have been told many things through this process with doctors - I have been told I may be allergic to latex, I drink too much water, I need to use a natural detergent when washing, I have pruritus ani, I am wiping to roughly, I was put on extended antibiotics even after labs revealed no infection... This list goes on and on. In my heart I believe these problems are attributed to herpes. Can herpes cause lower back and hip pain along with all of these other symptoms and can it be reoccuring again and again? This whole thing seems to cycle continuously with my period and vaginal discharge is prevelant in the midst of these symptoms. The lower back pain seems somewhat consistent and my primary care doctor believes it is a pinched nerve. I am having a hard time accepting this. Shortly before these symptoms started (only 1-2 weeks) I was diagnosed with major depression and put on Welbutrin. Thinking there was a correlation, I even came off the Welburtin but the symptoms persisted. I am out of ideas and do not want injections of steroids and lidocaine for something that may not even be causing this pain. The cost of copays and medications are causing many problems and I don't know what to do...
I am 53 years old and contracted herpes when I was 23.  I still have attacks and have exactly the same pain as you, though I no longer get blisters near my vagina.  They occur on my buttocks and the pain I have at the moment is lower back and hip...pain now is like electric shocks.  Persist with the herpes tests and get some help!!! Sorry to say this, but your husband may have contracted this - my ex gave it to me...
Geraldine
Do both of you have chronic pain or does it just seem to come with an outbreak?
Have you had any luck with your diagnosis?  Reading your entry is almost just like my problems.  My hips and buttocks just kill me and it is hard for me to sit down.  My doctor, as it seems as yours, is telling me the pain is coming from my back, but I really don't believe it is.  I would love any comments from anyone.  Thank you!!
I too just had a bout with a breakout  although I have no visable signs....took some medication for relief and now have so much pain in my right hip......don't know what to do AND  if Herpes is causing the hip pain although all other symptoms have gone away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this disease is "HIDEOUS" and a HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is like a bear in a cave so to speak....you never know when its coming out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How do you consider it an outbreak if you had no visible signs? An outbreak in fact is symptomatic. Hip pain alone would not be herpes.

How were you diagnosed?
I am currently waiting on my test results to see if I have herpes. However, I have ALL of the signs. The first couple of days, it all staeted with a strange discharge. I haven't seen my boyfriend for a few months and it's been a while since we had sex.  After he left, that's when it all started.it all started with a cold like symptom.  I thought I was catching a regualr cold. Then the discharge came (thought it was from all the sex we had) Then afterwards, I saw a coulple of blisters that hurt like hell when you touched them.I made a appointment the very next day, and my doctor said he believes I have herpes. My boyfriend says he is clean and etc. However, if he was..then why am I going through something like this?? He and I have taken several blood tests before and we both came out clean. However this time around, I am having these problems.  My doctor told me he was going to treat it like herpes and put me on medication for it. It didn't help at first, but after a couple of days the pain went away.  I was legit scared to use the restroom because it was like peeing acid and I would cry and scream because of the pain. Now, it isn't so bad anymore(I believe it is because the medication is working) I am praying it isn't herpes and my significant other did not give me anything. However, everything I have read. The medical professionals I have talked to, confirmed that it is a possibilitly I have contracted herpes from my current partner. I get my results tomorrow, and I would love to know what anyone thinks at this point. I am very scared, and do not know what to do.
Hi everyone, I have the same hip/back pain you all have described.  However I have constant outbreaks inside my nose(crazy right?!?) and on my face and neck(nothing genitally). The hip/back pain is mild and constant but when I have outbreaks(every 2-3 weeks) the pain in my hip/back get worse. I am only 22 and I was in very good physical shape. However, after getting the hsv I noticed that my joints hurt all over my body especially my hips, knees and lower right back.  I absolutely cannot sleep lying on the left side of my body or lying on my back. I have constant stomach aches.  I can no longer sit still for longer than 10 minutes without having to move around and try to alleviate the back pain.  Overall I constantly feel physically unwell most of the time now.  It's kind of like you're always a little bit sick. Everything began with a 3 week period of flu like symptoms, headaches, night sweats, sore throat.  I don't know how much of this has to do with the hsv but it seems strange that it all started at the same time.  Every problem I described started withing that 3 week period.  Before this I was in 100% perfect shape. I could run 5 miles without even breathing heaving.  Now I struggle to run 100 yards without extreme pain in my back/hip.  I've had no damage from a sudden impact or anything like that.  Also, a medication I had been taking successfully(something completely unrelated) for 8 years suddenly stopped working.  My doctor didn't seem concerned about it and said that my nervous system and the neurons in my brain had probably changed as I got older.  But this was not a gradual change.  This medication has worked for 8 years without fail and then almost completely stopped working over a 3-4 month period following my initial outbreak.  I know the herpes virus has a lot to do with the nervous system and I feel like this occurrence could also related.  I also feel like most doctors are CLUELESS when it comes to diagnosing any form of herpes.  Has anyone else had similar experiences?
what was the results of your tests?
Whenever I consumed a lot of sugary foods like ice cream, cookies, candy and such, I would break out with sores around my nose and inside. They were very painful to touch and would last for weeks. Lately I have not had these sores but have pain in the buttocks and lower back is sore and painful with spasms and pain down the back of both legs. If I lie down and go to sleep,the pain is so excruciating it takes a long time to slowly get out of bed. Once I can get up the spasms slowly subside as I walk and move around. I had numerous back surgeries for pain and was told it was a herniated disk every time except the last time showed nothing on the x-ray, but they did the same operation anyway and the pain was relieved. I am 64 and have no money for co pays and doctor visits and cannot stand any more painful tests that go on and on with my diagnosis the only one that makes sense. Diet and stretching exercises and yoga seem to be the only thing that works between flare ups that do not have any side effects like meds. Also if I consume too much beer and wine it seems to cause a flare up. Hope this helps someone.
I have had H for 3 years now. I have constant buttock and leg pain. The pain runs from my buttock down the back of my leg and through my calves and into my heel area. Sometimes I have hip pain. It's definitely herpes as it came on about a week after my first outbreak. I have only had two outbreaks in three years, but I have pain every day in my buttock and legs. It's not debilitating, but it has really destroyed my life and I can't ignore it. My doctors have tried antivirals, pain meds, and even anti depressants. Nothing really helps with the pain except exercise..... WHEN I am exercising. When I stop the pain comes right back.
The person whom gave me this horrid disease said "it's no big deal, just a little itching". This may be true to SOME. It's different for everyone, but for me, it's been three years of hell. I can't imagine the rest of my life like this, but that's what I am in for unfortunately. I wish you all good luck. We need a cure. Let's hope and pray. Someday.
I am experiencing my first outbreak of cutaneous herpes on my upper right buttock.  I am 62, not sexually active and was very surprised when the diagnosis of the two blisters (one large and one small) was herpes.  The lesions were preceded by low back and hip pain for about a week, that was causing me to limp when walking.  I assumed it was due to my degenerative discs and never thought of herpes. When the blisters and  redness appeared I immediately thought shingles, of which I had an outbreak 6 years ago on the same side but along my waistline.  During the holidays I was eating more nuts and chocolate which could contribute to an outbreak, according to what I have read.  What a drag...I am taking the anti viral and hope it clears it up and hope this isn't the beginning of a recurring problem.  I also have chronic itching on my upper left arm which I know is nerve related.  That has happened in the past and I found a label for it:  brachioradial puritis...the only thing that stops it is ice.  So I lay in bed with a burning hip/butt and an ice pack on my arm.  MISERY
I have had herpes for over 20 years.  I hardly ever get actual blister outbreak but I am on valtrex for suppression.  What does still happen however is that occasionally, I get shooting stabbing pains (usually in my feet, sometimes elsewhere) that I think is the virus activating.  This has happened for close to 15 years and my partner that had this had the same issue.  It feels like a pin is getting stuck in you.  In addition, when I do get an outbreak I do not get blisters but it feels like the skin got pulled off and my nerves are raw from my genital area through my buttocks and down my leg.  It is always on the left side.  Very painful.  Ibuprofen and upping the valtrex seems to tamp it back down.  I tried going off the valtrex because I have depression issues and that can be a side effect but I had a bad recurrence which is depressing too....Anyone who has this, please be honest with partners.  I got this from my first encounter in college and he didn't tell me what he had.  I have a lifelong horror because of it.  Not cool.
Hello everyone, Well today I went to my Dr. because I too have had this awful persistant pain in my left hip for the last 2 weeks. Well about 6 months ago I was diagnosed with Herpes 1 and 2. This diagnoses after previously being mis-diagnosed with everything from Steven Johnson's Syndrome to Erythema multiforme. At first I thought I was having this pain because my period was coming because I had this pain previously last month as well and after my period it went away. Well this month it did not! So long story short, today a new doctor at the office diagnosed me with shingles! She said that this is not suprising though, due to the fact that Herpes, Shingles as well as Erythema Multiforme and the like are virtually all the same kind of virus. They are all basically related to the Chicken pox virus. The difference this time and the dead giveaway is the pain in the hip and back. Shingles effects the nerves in your back and hips and sometimes you will have a breakout of a rash and sometimes you will not. This time I had very few blisters. Other times I have had a million blisters but I have never had this kind of pain before. The Dr. stated that Shingles usually appears after a person becomes older, I am now 50 Y.O. At any rate I was prescribed Acyclovir. I hope it works! I hope this is of some help to someone out there.
Good luck and take care!
your symptoms and thoughts are correct....herpes does cause hip and lower back pain,....eventually......, got herpes down there in 1992 from a drunk night with a tourist....in the beginning just the classic itchin and tingling, then the outbreak....about near 2 years ago, i woke up to hip pain... then, a small break out, did tests but the dr cant say if the pain is from hps2.....well now  i feel i have about 3 to 4 episodes a year, and makes me sick, .. with itch pain in my head with head aches and general blah health....so i did my own daignosis, when i feel my back and hips pain in the nerves, i take acyclovir .... and in two days the pain in gone...i do feel that the virus has gone beyond the sacral area, travels up the spine and travels to the skull, i have tmj and after a flair up the pain i feel in my hip, goes to my jaw, my ears ring as well....yes this is a hells disease...
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers