mixed results
SO,
I am confused.  I did something stupid and slept with a guy i was seeing ONE time but without a condom.  3 weeks later i went to the doctor because i noticed a blister (not a lesion) on my vaginal area.  I was tested for HSV NON-SPECIFIC IgG and IgM.  and the full panel of STD tests.  My IgG came back positive, but there was no number associated with it.  The IgM came back negative, and the general culture came back negative (the doctor did NOT culture the blister because since it was not open the doctor didn't want to cut it open to test so she just did a general swab of my vaginal area.  Since it was non-specific I asked to be tested again, this time for the specific HSV 1 and HSV 2 tests. I've never had a cold sore or anything, the first time i ever had any thing EVER was the single blister when i went to the doctor.  BOTH HSV 1 and HSV 2 came back negative.  My doctor told me it was probably a cross reaction on the non-specific IgG.  Is that possible?  Is it possible the negative tests were wrong?
the non-type specific herpes igg blood tests do have a high false positive rate. we recommend they don't be drawn on pt's because of this.

the herpes igm test is a greatly flawed test that we also don't recommend to be used on adults. Current CDC guidelines are that it not be used to diagnose herpes either.  

If it was a regular viral culture, just swabbing your genital area, instead of opening up the blister wasn't very helpful either :(

At this point, since this was a random partner, wait until 3 months after the encounter and repeat your type specific herpes igg blood testing. should you have any more symptoms before then, be seen promptly for them.

encourage your provider to update their herpes testing info by reading the 2010 CDC herpes guidelines to better serve their patients and to protect themselves from lawsuits!

grace
Thanks so much Grace.

I'm confused though, if the non-specific still tests for the HSV antigen, why would it get a false positive?  
many things can cause a false positive, especially other viruses. It's an old test and really not helpful.