Herpes Community
need help understanding HSV status

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

need help understanding HSV status

I have read many posts on here regarding test results.. but I am still unsure of how to interpret results..

results are below..
HSV 1 and 2 IgM Abs , indirect
  HSV Igm antibodies <1:10   titer <1:110
  HSV IgM antibodies <1:10  titier <1:10

HSV I/II IgG Rflx I-II Type Spec
  HSV I/II IgG   17.1 High

HSV I IgG, Type Spec
result being verified,

HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec   3.19 High

I have never had any sores or anything on lips or genitals .. this was a total shock to me.. my doctor just said i have herpes prescribed some medication and that was it.. I am really on what the results mean.  Should I get retested?
you can ignore the igm testing. it should've never been done on you in the first place.

your hsv1/2 igg of 17.1 was a non-type specific test and was also completely wasting your time and money.  it being positive tells you absolutely nothing.

your hsv1 igg results are not yet posted.

your hsv2 igg is 3.19 which is a low positive. it can be a false positive so since you have never had any symptoms orally or genitally, you'll need to confirm with additional testing.

what caused you to get tested? was it a routine screening or had you had a worrisome encounter?

grace
thank you for responding.. a few more questions..
1.  why was the hsv 1 not reported along with the hsv 2 test..  is that normal to not have a number for the hsv 1?
2.  so do I need to retest with the biokit or the W test?  if so do i need to go back to my doctor to have this done?
3.  I was doing my routine blood/physical screening each year.. but i like others had no idea that when you do std testing herpes testing is not normally included.. so i have nothing to compare this information to..
4.  also the medication that she prescribed, if i do have herpes, am I suppose to take this daily even though i show no symptoms? or do i take this medication when i have an ob?
also i forgot to ask...
5. do i need to call the doctor back or the lab back to get my results for the hsv 1 result? how long after will the result be ready?
1. Ask your lab that question we can't tell you why they did something with it.  It sounds like they maybe are doing another test.

2.  The western blot would be the best test for confirmatory testing. You can do the Biokit for your HSV-2.  Yes you would need to speak to your doctor about this.

3.  When was the last time you had a sexual encounter from the point of your testing?

4. Taking the medicine is up to you.  If you have a partner who does not have HSV it will help in prevention of transmission if you in fact do have HSV.  Though if you plan on doing confirmatory testing I would say no need to take the medicine.

5.  The doctors office and they can request the lab work to see if it was a change.  Lab work is typically ready within about 5 days but can be longer depending on the lab and volume of work they have.
questions just keep popping in my head...
6.  you stated that the 17.1  IgG testing was  non specific and means nothing, but does this mean that I do have one of the HSV's but at this time I just dont know? so thats why i need to retested?
the last time i had sex was i believe 7-10 days prior from blood draw.. and it was protected..
7.  okay i just called and they said that my HSV 1 IgG was a .91 negative..
8.  also i asked them about being retested with the western blot test and they had no idea what this test was..?  so what do i do now.. ?   i told them it was a test that you have ordered throught the lab and she stated" we dont do that'  we only have the testing methods that the lab does... this is crazy to me that they dont know anything about this..
what are my next steps?  
since you just had sex a week prior to getting tested for herpes, at this point you need to wait another 3 months and repeat your herpes igg blood testing and go from there.  

is this a regular partner or just a random partner?
one was a regular partner and then i did have sex with a new partner back in february and the last time we had sex was in mid april..
your current partner should also be tested to see what his status is.
why do i need to wait another 3months if the person i had sex with last is also one of the people i had sex with 3 months ago?

could you please tell me how do i get a western blot test?  and or biokit if my doctor tells me she doesnt know what this is??

also what is the difference in western blot test and biokit?

also i do understand that the hsv1 and 2  IgG at 17.1 was useless but if it is useless why are these numbers even reported? what does this number mean?  

thank you for your help.
I think she maybe thinking you had a partner prior to your same partner for 3 months before this lab work was done.  An IgG test is accurate for encounters that were 12+ weeks ago from the date of the blood draw.  

To get a Western Blot your provider needs to talk to the University of Washington.  They are the only ones that do the Western Blot.  Now if your provider uses quest we can give you the quest code.  As for the Biokit your provider will need to either contact BioKitUSA or you will need to find somene who has it

Western Blot is the best test you can get it is the gold standard in herpes testing.  The WB is the test all the other tests are compared to.

Useless we mean that it doesn't tell you what if any HSV type you have.  That is what we mean by useless.  
okay thanks for the response..

my doctor uses labcorp so do you have the code for the western blot for labcorp?

so just to make sure i am clear i need to do both the western blot and the biokit?

labcorp does not offer the herpes WB.

you need to wait for testing. repeat your testing with the captia  test that labcorp offers and go from there.
okay so how long do i need to wait to test again?  

and i am assuming that in this waiting period i should not have sex at all?
up to you and your partner. get your partner tested to see what their status is. protected sex will protect a partner quite a bit.
a little confused is it up to me to have sex or as to when i should do a retest?

i would like to know when how long should i wait before retesting, because doesnt this impact how the results will show.
you need to wait 3 months after the last time you had sex with this partner.

if this partner gets tested and is negative for hsv2, you can repeat your test in 2 months which would be 3 months after the partner prior to this partner.

make more sense?
yes that is thank you..

also, you all mentioned biokit or western blot at first.. and now you suggest doing a   captia re-testing with labcorp... what type of test is captia?  is this comparable to the first test that labcorp did?

how come i dont need to do the biokit or the western blot the next time, 3months from now?
captia is the herpes igg blood test you already had the first time if your provider uses labcorp.

because we have to rule out a newly acquired infection, just repeating your testing with the same test you had originally is the easiest course of action at this point.
ok thank you so much for the info..