Herpes Community
newly dignosed single mom of 2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

newly dignosed single mom of 2

Well I had my blisters scrapped Monday. I'm aware Its herpes solely from the look of them. Pain and location. Of course everyone I've been with denies any genital concerns (yes I'm aware it can be asymptomatic). But I did inform each of them so I've done my part.

I'm so scared this is going to move from my left labia to my entire body. I know it needs a moist surface to stay alive. But I'm just new to this new kind of constant paranoid thinking. I fear Hand hygiene isn't enough and I should be doing more. I am scared to wipe away my tears. I was in emergency this morning because I got a cyst in my eye and was convinced I transferred herpes from vaginal area to eye. Overtime my arms tingle or my feet feel funny I have to do a complete head to toe assessment.

I'm a single mom and I don't care about my future love life. I care about my kids safety and their wellbeing. This diagnosis is extremely difficult to handle at the moment but I'm sure with more information I'll be able to manage a healthy lifestyle that reflects my new body's complications.

If you can help me understand how to keep this contained. The likeness of transferring from genitals to body. The precautions other parents take. I can start to feel empowered and less like a giant bag of dirt.

Yes I stated oral antivrials 2 days ago. I've notice some changes. The blisters have popped. It hurts like hell and to top it I got my period so I have to wear a pad and I'm sure thats not helping heal it any faster.

Looking forward to hearing some replies. This Google search way about finding information is scary.
of course you had to get your period on top of all of this!!!

first off, you are not a walking biohazard dear :)  You do not have to worry about spreading herpes anywhere on your body!!  Washing your hands after using the toilet or touching yourself intimately is all you  have to do. the virus is easily killed with soap and water.  

once you get your test results back, make sure they tell you if it's hsv1 or hsv2 if it comes back + for herpes. If they didn't type it to know, INSIST that they call the lab and add it on. knowing type is very important and it can take up to 3 months to find out the type if they don't type this culture.

if you haven't read the herpes handbook that we recommend in our read before posting post on th forum, be sure to do so. the patient counseling video on the same site is also terrific.

are you taking anything for pain relief?  

have you tried something as simple as soaking in the tubby with epsom salts or aveeno bath thrown in?

keep asking questions!

grace
Okay need help again. I'm not coping well. I am withdrawing from my kids and sister. I don't wanna live with this and to top it every new blister or bump on me or my kids I panic and think herpes.

I have been on my antiviral for 4 days. My genital lesions are almost completely gone. This has been my very first ever herpes outbreak. now I woke up this morning and I have a painful blister on the top of my mouth. I did eat out last night and there's a possibility its a heat blister but to me it's oral herpes.

I am awaiting the results from my scrabbling and bein completely honest I've already been to emergency once with what I thought was eye herpes.

I think a lot of this could have been avoided had my dr. Did more then look at my genitals. Tell me I have herpes mad she needed to swab it
She gave me no information. No pamphlet. Nothing just a prescription and a come back when this happens again for another one.

I'm aware I'm unstable and I'll look into help on Monday bit for right now I've diagnosed myself with oral herpes and am freaking out.
I am newly diagnosed single mom as well. My test was positive for genital hsv1.
If you google Herpes Handbook & download it you will learn so much.
I understand that stress is a big trigger,so, I wonder if that prolongs or makes it worse as well.
I spent hours and days researching how I can boost my immune & nervous systems naturally. This newly gained knowledge puts my mind at ease.
oral herpes usually doesn't appear on the roof of the mouth. probably related to what you ate last night or something.  

did you watch the video on the hand book site?  Terri sitting there talking is very reassuring I think :)  also her book "the good news about the bad news" is also very helpful. It really goes into the details of what the IDEA of having genital herpes does to your psyche sometimes.  

don't pull away from family dear- you need their shoulder to lean on and their energy to keep you busy right now :)   Sitting around alone having a pity party is the worst thing you can do for yourself right now!!!
I don't think I can lean on their shoulder. We live together and since I told her she's been worse then me. She believes I gave it to her and has already been to a Dr. This didn't calm her at all.
I'll read and watch the video.
My lesions on my genitals are almost gone. Just small faded red dots. No pain nothing. However I sure feel different down their now!

Thank you all so much.

unless your sister has been having sex with you, she was NEVER at risk of contracting genital herpes from you.  it's not something transmitted through routine day to day contact.   Her ignorance of genital herpes is what is causing her anxiety, not any risk!!!
My scores are gone. Still have another day on antiviral. I still feel very itchy and uncomfortable in my peri area. Doeant burn when i pee but i get sharp pains now and again. I'm still on my period. Or what I think is my period dark brown and light. I had an iud inserted a few months back so my periods are very Irregular at best. The doctors office called an something went wrong with the testing process. She couldn't tell me what mad said the Dr will call me and explain. No call yet. So my question is. Ahead cultured my scores. Would this swab be 100 percent accurate or am I putting all my eggs in on basket. Should I be pursuing other testing?? I did a blood test but didn't see igG on the req just normal std screen. Being I haven't had sex in a long time. And my Dr is sure by visual appearance it's herpes I believe I've had it for over a year and I either haven't had or mistake outbreaks. Should I ask for an igg.
If am igG is something your advise how long do these results take to get back. I'm still in denial. I personally went to each Dr apt with each sexual partner well they had a full std check. I just can't believe with being so vidulate I get the 1 std that goes without testing until Its to late.
did your lesion culture come back yet?

I'd ask them to redraw your herpes igg blood testing if you haven't had sex in at least 3 months.
Dealing with Some crazy burning right now. Very uncomfortable. Is it possible that since the bumps on my labia are gone and now my vagina is burning I'll start to see bumps there soon? I have 2 more dose of antiviral med.

And grace thank you so much. I honestly can't mean this anymore. You have been so helpful.
No. I haven't. Waiting on labia swab. All other standard bw clear tho. I am still very itchy and burning. I go to the bathroom excepting to see more lesions/scores. I'm slowly coming to terms but I still feel like I'm on high alert of spreading this.

Hoping to hear Soon. Swab was done 7 days ago. Nother sure how long it takes to come back  
the swab should be back. give the clinic a call today.

did they also test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally when you were seen?

Why is it important to know type?  Like if I have genital herpes type 1. Does that mean I can spread the virus orally. I'm very confused to why mad how things are different between having genital herpes type 1 or 2
No. She was sure on herpes. Still no results.
why type is important is covered in the free herpes handbook :)
I called the lab. The sample is still being processed. They have had it 8 days. How long does this take?
only takes a few days - no idea what the hold up is.
It came back type 2 genital. :-(.
One more question .... if I was to wash my hands then dry them on a towel then my daughter washed and dried her hands  with the same towel that hasn't dried yet. Could she get it that way in a cut. Her finger has a cut and looks infected
soap is enough to kill the virus. i know cuz i thought it would be best to have my own bar of soap to shower with, but grace said its not needed to do that because soap has enough in it to kill the virus.
no, your daughter won't get herpes from using the same hand towel you use.

have you considered daily supppressive therapy at all yet?
So my daughter has a blister on her fourth right finger. I freaked and took her to emergency and the Dr tidbit looks like it or ciudkd be a blister. He didn't swab it and just said keep a bandaid on it and it'll go away..... all ifbus have washed our hands constantly. How did this happen... what does this mean. He said it Polly wont come back. To keep a watch. And get it checked if it doesn't go away. I don't get this  I cleaned every inch of the bathroom everytime I went. I washed my hands every time. I don't believe I'm not a walking biohazard I was so careful. This situation has me very upset and I know I need help dealing cause I'm honestly at my end point.
Is it possible to get type 2 in side my nose. I have a painful bump.
And yes I am hoping to start daily therapy Monday. Dr sent wrong percribtion Friday afternoon.
if dr. told you it WAS herpes on your daughters finger, i would not accept that diagnosis for my child until it was swabbed or somehow a definate diagnosis by lab work of somesort. i would demand a swb if this is what he's diagnosing her with.
herpes on the finger is very painful.  not likely this is herpes going on on her finger at all. most times a blister is just a blister.

you didn't give your daughter herpes!
Thanks grace.

One more question. I had my first known ob Nov 27. Have had unprotected sex with a boyfriend for almost 2.5 years. What is the likely hood he has gotten this from me.

He is going for bw Monday. He also gets cold sores believed to be type 1. I just found that out.... I have type 2 genital. At no point has he ever performed oral sex on me. Just wondering the odds. And we are both aware he could have type 1 and 2 and given this to me. He's never had symptoms however.
once he gets his results, you'll have real answers as to who has what and can start deciding what precautions to take from this point forward.
Grace.

The blister now looks like a wart. Soft around the outter part with a yellowy scab in the middle white circlar sore with red bass. It's just one . She doesn't complain about it but does say it hurts when we wash and change the bandaid.  Being the Dr. Did say it looks like herpes whitlo and only when I broke down crying did he say it could also be a blister. I know it's very unlikely it's herpes. I have been so cautious in the bathroom during my last Ob I wear gloves to wipe and sprayed and wiped the entire bathroom. With antibacterial wipes. I also have a bleach and water spray bottle I spray the tub with after I shower. But I just can't get passed him telling me it looks like it and to just keep a bandaid on it.

Would you recommend further action?

Also I'm going to talk to my std center tomorrow and receive counseling because I can't stop thinking I'm contagious and spreading it all over the place and passing it on. This Dr.s diagnosis almost put me suicidal. I know I'm not coping and getting help. Was just hoping for your guidance tonight so I can settle.

Will there ever be a time I'll be able to say. It's just herpes.... ???  Right now I feel like I've been handed a death sentence from a loved one.
you don't have to do any special cleaning!!  you don't have to wash the tub or wipe the toilet!! YOU ARE NOT A BIOHAZARD!!!

I have been thinking of all the times over the last three years all the times I could have exposed my kids to this virus.

My question is. If I just had my first known ob. Is it possible I've exposed my kids over the years bathing with them. Sitting in the kitty pool during summer with
Like I'm sure after the bath we all used one towel. I've only bathed with my kids twice over the 2 years
you have never, EVER exposed your child to your genital herpes!! you are worrying about things you don't have to worry about.  

the virus doesn't float through water. sitting in the pool with them or in the tubby is not a risk.

we never have the kind of contact with out children it takes to transmit herpes.
Hoping for same guidance.

I still have a milky discharge. What I believe to be swollen Glads on the floor of my vaginal area. I have no external lesions. I'm itchy and uncomfortable. I habe never experinced this before so i question if this is my first ob ever. Is this milky discharge full of the herpes virus. I know if i wash my hands im okay.. so they say. . . I was wondering if this is a side effect of herpes. The discharge. I've taken 2 course of antiviral my Dr. Would like me not to go on suppressive therapy until she sees how my breakouts play out untreated. So here I set unsure when to start antiviral because I have no idea what an outbreak feels like

One more question. What tx for flare ups would u recommend. I have a prescriptions for 2. Different txt.
usually milky discharge is due to bv, not herpes.   be seen for proper testing to see if indeed it is bv or just normal discharge.

have you read the free herpes handbook we recommend in our read before posting post? lots of good info in there on treating herpes to help you make your decisions.
What's bv
bacterial vaginitis
I have an ulcer on the inside of my mouth. My Dr. Wasn't sure what it was. She swab my throat for strep. But said she couldn't obtain a viral culture from it. She suggested I take another round of my antiviral.
WHAT IS HAPPENING TO me. My lips r sore and dry. They feel funny but hard to say why. A few questions.

Since my first ob on Nov 28 I have no taken 3 course of my antiviral. Again I asked my Dr for the daily pill and she refused. I begged and she just said she doesn't feel i need it. So since I have type 2 genitals. Would u assume I am also having an ob of type 1 oral. I don't see any sores on my lips yet just the one on the side of my cheek. It's sore. Almost like I bit my cheek. Being its on the inside how contagious and what precautions should I take to not pass this aka not kissing kids I'm assuming or sharing drinks. Wash hands often and don't touch my face?
Will my antiviral work the same for type 1
odds are this isn't oral herpes.

if your regular provider isn't supportive of daily suppressive therapy, take your business elsewhere!
Okay so just a 're cap.
Taking sex out of the question for now. I can still snuggle and sleep in the same bed with much kids. Has long has I continue with hand hygiene after using the bathroom and using my own towel my kids should be safe from me.

And although spreading my genital herpes to other parts of my body is possible it's highly unlikely has long has I don't touch my genitals and then touch another part of my body. Ie eyes mouth. Nose.

I am aware how repetitive I sound and silly but these are my fears. If you told me there was no way I could give my kids genital herpes. I know I'd live a very happy life. But when you tell me their at risk I panic. I came sleep and I withdraw. I am seeking couciling and my Dr asked me to given it 3months to see if I even have another ob before starting antiviral daily therapy has Im a very fit healthy 27year old. I think if I can get over this fear mad panic of transferring this to my kids family or friends I'll be ok.

Thank you Grace.
reread what I've posted previously. your children were never at risk for your genital herpes.
I have the same fears. I have seen my obgyn, pcp, er doc and therapist because I live in constant fear of spreading herpes or whatever the heck I have to my granddaughter. I keep having recurrent lesions on labia minora. I have had this happen several times over the past maybe 2 years. But now that I am being checked for herpes, I am thinking back to all the times that maybe I didnt wash my hands right away. Just the other day I was using the bathroom and my granddaughter came in and used her toddler potty. I wiped myself and thre the tissue in the toilet, flushed and then she was done and needed my help wiping. I just helped her like always and now an paranoid and fearful that I have spread something to her. I should have washed my hands first but I didnt give it a thought until too late. I am totally comsumed by fear and DO feel like a biohazard. like my husband finds me disgusting even though he says thats not true.
Jodylynn. I can relate. I can live with herpes. What I'm struggling with is living with herpes and my kids. I don't feel disgusting nor should you!!! Don't allow this to take hold of your self esteem or self worth. No women iS judged by what their vagina looks like!!!  I'm sure your husband was attracted to many thing about you before even seen you naked. The fear is getting less the more I remind myself who I am. I urge you to remember your not a herpe your a women who has a man that loves her and understands she has a skin condition that is both annoying and random and could possible like I'm sure all your problems do just nay affect him.
I can't offer support with regards to spreading this to our loved ones but I'm slowly coming around to the whole skin to skin. Direct contact. And implementing small changes. Ie all have our own towel. And everyone washes their hands more often.

Good luck!!!
Pimples on my bum checks. They are spread out. No where near my original outbreak that were on my labia. Does it look like pimples when it's not on my actual labia. Those were undeniable ulcers. These look like pimples with white heads. Have had these before but shave and always figured ingrown hair. They aren't painful. More so uncomfortable. That being side I've been sitting for 12 hours so in general my bums sore has I work 12 hrs shifts.

Just looking for your guidance into identifying ob.
these don't sound like herpes at all.  

I hear ya on the sore butt after sitting so long!! Amazing how much pain just sitting can cause :(    remember to get up hourly and move around at the very least and make sure your chair is adjusted properly.
Just a question... would I be right to assume sex will now involved me never putting whatever was in my vagina in my mouth during sexual festivities. .. I'm sure That sounds freakish but I'm just trying to find where the new herpes type 2 line is drawn during sex..

I'm also still scared to touch myself in fear I spread my  condition to other parts. I havent had another break out since... showering gives me anxiety...  ugh... other then that fear I have come to terms with my diagnosis I just need to get past this fear of spreading. I guess because there's always the chance that I could freaks me out
you can put whatever was in your vagina in your mouth.

you also don't have to worry about spreading your herpes to other body parts either!

by all means touch yourself !!
Will that not put me ask risk of self infecting my mouth with Hsv 2.  Say we had vaginal sex then he wished to finish with oral.

Sorry if this comes of has "dirty" talk  just need to understand how sex has changed ...

Is there anything else I should know about sex with herpes.
you aren't going to contract hsv2 orally since you already have it genitally.  

You really are not a walking biohazard dear!!!!

sex hasn't changed at all either - you just have to avoid sex now and then if you have any genital symptoms going on.  you can still do everything and anything sexually!!!
I've had herpes for over 20 years now... My husband has it as well because we don't know I had it before we got together. So I guess it's all good on the front as they say. Any how. I've never given it to our children by bathing or swimming with them or by then using my towels or other items. My daughter even borrowed my swim suit once. I've also bathed with my grandson and he doesn't have it either.

I was tested many years ago so the test wasn't as fancy as the ones you guys are talking about. I now wonder after reading all this, should I get retested? Does it matter. I know they said it was type 2 but nothing else.

I have learned over the years that stress is a big factor in bring on an outbreak and they do seem to start just as my period starts. I will add that I had my first outbreak at 18 and it was many years later before I had a second one. Also I always know when one is coming on because I will have an itchy spot just before.

I am currently having an outbreak which is what led me to this site as it is one of the more painful ones I've had in a while. I was actually looking for tips to aid in pain relief. I have learned over the years that tucks pads do help to relieve pain and speed up healing as well but this time it's not helping much.  I am looking for natural remedies for the pain and clearing up the sores. I've tried Coital Silver and it does help greatly.

I posted here because I wanted to assure you as a long time sufferer that you are not going to infect your children. They are safe. Don't panic so much. I don't take any extra precautions other then washing my handa which I do anyway. We all bleach the tub after bathing but not for this. No one in my family other then my husband even knows about us having it. He also has only had like 2-4 outbreaks even... It's not so bad for men it seems... Heals faster and isn't as painful. Lucky them... LOL

Also we've been having oral sex for years and neither of us has ever gotten it in our mouths... He has cold sores but he got that as a child and I do as well but I got it from my friend using my chapstick. I didn't get them till I was about 32. Like the gen type, they too come on with stress and itch before they show up. Otherwise it's never spread to any other parts of our bodies. We don't have sex during an outbreak but that is more because of the pain then any other reason as I've been assured that it wont cause an outbreak on him and it wont cause more on myself.

As for sex in your future. First off all I can say is be honest. Use condoms and its so common these days, many already have it anyway. Or so I've found as I have other friends who have it and have found other guys with it so spreading its no danger. Just be honest and don't be so fearful...

Ignorance breeds fear and hate...
Faith728.

I was always told generally outbreaks get better not worse. Is it possible this outbreak is a new infection caused by hsv1. From oral sex?  And are you sure your cold sore is hsv1. And not 2.????

Thank you for sharing your story. I have resumed normal parenting lol I no longer fear transmission to them from me. Sounds like I just need to find a perfectly handsome hsv2. Positive man and life will be in order again.