Herpes Community
nonstop hsv1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

nonstop hsv1

I've gotten coldsores since being a teenager.  However, they used to be infrequent.  For the past two years I think I have had at least one coldsore present on my face EVERY SINGLE DAY.  A year ago I went to the doctor because a super aggressive patch of them stayed for about a month and people kept asking me what was on my face.  Started on acyclovir 2x day 400mg.  It reduced the duration of individual coldsores but still, I always have at least one.  It just disappears quicker and another one rises.  I went back to the doctor last week after a year of acyclovir and was switched to valacyclovir.  It's only been a week or so, but still, no stop in coldsores.  So, my question is... is it completely abnormal to have constantly recurring orofacial outbreaks?  Like, never a time without them?  I'm worried I must have cancer or something that has compromised my immune system.  How can I be having never ending outbreaks while consistently on suppressive therapy?  I'm a 28 year old female, I eat healthy, I wash my hands, I am active, I take lysine and vitamins... Yet I'm a contagious person every day of the year.  I don't know what to do. I stopped dating because I am a walking contagion.   I had a blood test done and was positive for hsv1 and negative for hsv2.
Hi, highly unsual to have constant outbreaks. These may not be all herpes. It would be best to have a new one swabbed to confirm they are in fact herpes.
had blood testing done and I'm not quite sure about the type of testing but my doctor said it it is hsv1. because of my history with coldsores I feel pretty familiar with them, and I have no doubts that the recurring outbreaks are herpes but honestly at this point it would be wonderful to hear that they aren't do I could try some other form of treatment. but my dr is convinced, I am as well.
also, I had a question about transmission. I'm on suppressive therapy but I always have at least a remnant of a cold sore somewhere on my skin near my mouth, because of this I am always contagious right? last time I kissed someone he woke up with a coldsore so now I just avoid it entirely and let me tell you, what a waste of my twenties, kissing is the best. I understand everyone's a wreck about herpes initially but this is my life, every day, on my face, contagious. there has to be some thing I can do
Hang in there, dear. I agree with Life360. The very next time a new sore appears, go and have it swabbed, just for confirmation.

Yes, especially as women, our bodies change. I spoke to Anna Wald at the University of Washington a few months ago, and she confirmed what I have suspected for a couple of decades - hormones can be a factor in the virus activating. They could be a factor in yours.

It's also possible that your immunity has changed. You might ask your doctor for a full bloodwork panel to determine possible factors. Finally, has your stress level changed at all? Sometimes managing stress can make all the difference in the world. Stress is a big trigger.

You might now try Famvir, the third antiviral brand, which apparently works especially well for women. No reason not to keep looking for a solution - ask your doctor whether you can switch, since the others don't seem to be working for you.

Yes, I'm afraid symptoms of any kind are a sure bet that the virus is active and sitting on the surface of the skin. However, about 65% of the population has your HSV type - just to put things in perspective!
I think hormones are probably a key issue.  I actually just got an iud last month, and as I think I keep saying-I have no sex life- but I got it specifically to have the localized hormone in my uterus and to stop having periods (right before periods is the worst time for outbreaks for me).  So I'm hoping as my body gets acclimated to the low continuous hormone that may help my outbreaks.  
I'm wondering how long I should continue with valacyclovir?  Just was switched to it about ten days ago, but have had new coldsores arise during this time.  Any thoughts on how long to give it a shot for?  Also, does anyone know typical dosage?  I was prescribed 500mg once a day, but from what I've read people are supposed to have a higher dose during outbreaks...but I'm always having an outbreak. Any ideas about harmful effects of TOO much anti-viral or anti-virals taken for too long?  I haven't found anything along those lines in my internet searching.
My stress level isn't too crazy, I'm in school but I love it.  I pretty much just stress about possibly spreading herpes to other people as I am always contagious, such a terrible feeling.
Ok I'll go have one swabbed, I'll look into famvir, and I honestly think it would be a good idea to have blood work done just to see if there is something compromising my immune system...I don't really know how that would work, I'm assuming just a high white blood cell count would indicate need for further investigation or something.
Thanks for the responses, I know hsv1 especially is everywhere, I dont even care how it looks.  I just wish I wasn't contagious.
The antivirals have a history of being safe to take. Side effects vary, but have appeared to be minor, and very individual. More serious adverse effects are rare.

Many folks do have success doubling their dose - it's common to do so. Just clear it with your doc first. You could also ask to double your prescription dose, since the suppressive dose is clearly not doing much for you. You could give it another week before switching to the third antiviral, but ten days seems to be plenty of time for the drug to show a difference.

I will say that now that you've mentioned the change in your hormonal levels, I would have no trouble believing that it's a likely culprit. Hopefully you're right and that once your body's hormonal levels stabilize, your recurrences will diminish. However, you might have to consider the possibility that the unusual pattern of hormonal activity created by your IUD   creates a new problem out of the one you were trying to solve!

Good luck to you!