Herpes Community
passing on herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

passing on herpes

I have HSV2 I would like to know if I can pass it on to my child? This is what happened my son had a pimple on the back of his leg and he asked me to pop it. So i did . Now 4 days later he is sick.  Flu like . No temp. He said he was regular when he went to the bathroom. I gave him pepto bismol. I dont know what to think. What if I touched myself and didnt wash .How long can Virus live on your fingernail or on your hand ?
From what I have read herpes dies in 10 seconds slightly longer if it is damp and warm, also herpes is a virus so hand sanitizer wont kill it
did you ever follow up with any testing to confirm your hsv2 status? your prior post last month that unfortunately went unanswered didn't sound like you had had any testing done.

you won't transmit your genital herpes to your children. we don't have that sort of contact with our children.  

many things can cause the symptoms your son has. follow up with his provider if you think he has more than one of the many common viruses going around this time of the year.  

herpes can live for many hours but you are not going to transmit it from just touching your child - whether you remember to wash your hands or not after using the toilet.  It's just not that easy to transmit and takes lots more than just actual contact with the virus to transmit it.  

also hand sanitizer is effective at killing herpes.

grace
wanted to let you know in Sept. I went to Dr. because I was having itching abd burning down below. Dr. only looked . Dr.said itwas  Herpes and gave me Acycloveir 200mg  2 pills  3x a day for 10 days. A month later  I had  somethin g going on 100 times worse.I went to a different Dr. I had a swab test done. Results were pos. for herpes,and yeast. Back on Acyclovir.I Know that i have it but dont know for sure if its 1 or 2. I never asked. I do know that all summer long ive been feeling bad. I was planning on getting married til all this came up. I told my boyfriend he needed to get tested but he wont. I know he has type 1 he always has cold sore on his lips. I told him that cold sores are one type. He didnt beleive me. He moved out .Im starting to live my life again. Its hard . I want to trust ,love and care for someone but I feel like that part of my lifeover.
well bad that you had a worse ob that led to a better diagnosis but good that at least you know for sure what you have now and can deal with it.

so sorry to hear that your relationship ended like it did :(  I suppose it' s better to find out now he can't stick by for the long haul than later but it still hurts tons I"m sure.  

keep asking questions as you have them.

Thanks for all your help.I dont know where to go from here. Is it alright to date again or should i just stay single and alone? Dont ever want to pass this to anyone . Still thinking about having more children or a husband . what do you think?
can I ask you some question's I'm new to this not for sure diagnosed but, I know I have it my first out break was like a month ago went away for about a week and got another one, that is like 2 weeks ago , how doe's your out breaks respond to acyclovir, how often are you having them, and are you taking suppression doses?  Just don't have anyone to ask these type of question's to, and the fact that it can live many hours, wow, I have children too,  and hand sanitizer can kill herpes, sigh of relief, My hand's are all dry from using bleach, This is so scary with all the miss information, and I have a question along the lines of yours, if it can live for hours and I touch a wound on my child and it is on my hands how come it cant transfer or if i just touch their skin.
not sure why you are using bleach. herpes is easily killed with plain ole soap and water. You should never clean with bleach without wearing gloves either.  

you also need heat and friction to transmit herpes. you could put live herpes on your skin and let it lay there and never get infected  - it takes more than just simple contact to transmit it.

yes you can date!!!  herpes is not a reason to stay home on a saturday night by no means!  educate yourself about the virus so you can make educated decisions with future partners to protect them.

Terri warren's free herpes handbook is a terrific resource you can read online or print out at home. For about $15 you can purchase her book on amazon - the good news about the bad news - which goes into far more details about  herpes, especially the psychological side of having it for a lifetime.  Well worth the money if you can afford it :)

keep asking questions!

Hello i have been married 17 years and was just diagnosed with type 2 genital herpes. I have known my husband cheated from time to time but this was a devestaing blow. We have 3 children and i am frantic about infecting them. My daughter drank from my straw before i could stop her and now im a nervous wreck. Should i let them use my bathroom? nobody in our home shares towels but should i keep a set just for myself? please help
Nervouswreck'

I know exactly how you feel. I was recently diagnosed and I have a two year old still in diapers. Im terrified to change him because Im scared I can pass the virus to him with my fingers. I've been using sanitizer but I've just been informed that it want kill the virus; I have to wash my hands. My son also want to share drinks with me all the time. I feel so discusting for having this.
I too am struggling with feelings of self disgust. On one had i know i did not do this but you cant help but to feel gross. My biggest issue is that i have somehow failed my children. I can no longer be carefree with them. small things like sharing lipgloss with my daughter kissing my boys now seem off limits to me. Have to make a doctors app so i can get a better understanding of this horrible thing
Hello Grace I am really nervous and would love yolur feedback on the question i asked, if you have time or are still active on this site can you please help......