Herpes Community
pimple on shaft?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

pimple on shaft?

I had sex for the first time back in Jan2011, unprotected oral and protected sex. I got a bump that look like a pimple a month later after encounter. Went to get test neg for all except hsv-1. Which i never knew about shocking. 3-4 week after the bump went away this was around march. But today i noticed a bump that look the same as before and on the same spot. So i went to std clinic to check it is hpv or herpes. He said he don't know about hpv since it is a very small bump. So i told he get swab test on the bump for herpes cost me about $295. All he did was poke the bump and toke small amount of blood from it. 10-15 min he told me it was neg. My question is: is that test he gave me accurate? Does this sound like hsv-1? Is it possible for single bump to appear on the same spot that not std related? thank you all ima kinda worried.
Oh yeah he also told me he can pick the bump off and sent it to the lab to check if it hpv; but will cost me $550. Is this real? thought there no test for hpv?
this doesn't sound like genital herpes going on at all.

sounds like they did a tzanck smear which is a very old fashioned and inaccurate way to look for herpes.

odds are your hsv1 is oral even if you can't recall ever having had a cold sore. at your age, 1 out of every 3 people you know has hsv1, whether they know it or not. It's very common.

this also doesn't sound like hpv at all.

grace
wow, can't believed that they gave me inaccurate test!! Make me feel happy until now. What test do i need to get to check if the bump is herpes? The office i went only does std. they also been on the news. i don't think they will give me inaccurate test or i am not sure. i told them for a swab test. I will feel much better if i get the right test.thanks grace
this doesn't sound at all like herpes. I wouldn't bother with any further testing.  pretty much sounds more like a pimple or ingrown hair.
thank you grace. I found out what test i got from their website. called skin smear testing. Forgot to mention first time when i had the bump it was small at first then grew big with fluid inside don't if it puss or not. I know that not normal. But right now i just have a small red one. maybe later it will grew big too. Does fluid inside greater chance of herpes 1?  thank you again
The bump could have been anything a blister or a cyst anything.  
Yeah it can. But what make me  worried is that it came back twice at the same spot.
are you posting under monster on the asha forum?
Yeah you help out on asha too?  I still have the single bump on my shaft and also had a werid pain from the head of my penis, no idea what it was. Planning to go to different std clinic in 1-2 week if the bump does goes away and get tested for hsv again and hpv. better safe then sorry. Don't want my gf catching anything
yep that's me there too :)

we are more likely to have access here right now due to the server issues on asha so let's just continue here :)
great, your so helpful. planning to go different clinic 1-2 week if the bump doesn't go away and see what they got to say. Maybe get tested for hsv culture and hpv test. Yesterday i had a weird pain from head of my penis hurt for couple of sec then went away then came back. No idea what it is
too late for herpes testing 1-2 weeks from now. also if it's still there unchanged at that point, it's not herpes anyways.

not going to get tested for hpv either unless they remove the bump and send it to the lab.

nothing worrisome about pain that only lasts a few seconds.
Hey grace, how you been? I found out today that i have a small red bump appeared on my shaft. The same spot as the one before. It like 3 or 4th time it came back at the same spot. It red color, very small; 1mm; when i squeezed it there like small hard bump under the skin. I went to std clinic last time; gave me inaccurate smear test which was no help . I really want to find out what it is. I suggest it could be hsv1 or hpv; doubt it could be just a normal pimple. Do you have any clues what it could be?
the best thing to do is to be seen while you have symptoms.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers