Herpes Community
positive or Negative??

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

positive or Negative??

Ok, so i got my results today and im very confused!!!

The IGM test:
AB W/ Reflex to titer
HSV IGM AB screen         Detected

Refrence range: Not detected

Antibody, titler
HSV IGM Titer                  <1.10

IGG Results:
HSV 1 IGG Type specific    0.12
HSV 2 IGG Type specific    0.11

My doc looked at the results and ordered a herpes culture because of the IGM results. Am i not safe considering the IGG is fine? also, i haven't had intercourse in about 6 months, so its not a recent exposure. SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THESE RESULTS MEAN! Thanks =)
Your IgG blood test indicates you're negative. A test though is only accurate if enough time has passed since the last sexual experience - the recommended time is 3 months but a high percentage would have seroconversion earlier. You haven't had sex in 6 months and I'll assume you are including oral as well so you are NEGATIVE.

You indicated your doctor ordered a culture. If your doctor did a culture swab, were you in specifically for irritation or visible bumps, blisters or sores?
so negative igm picks up any anti body like if you have chicken pox when you were younger it'll say ur positive it doesnt distinguish between what herpe strain you had. your doctors just being percautoinary. no herpabungus for your lucky be happy.
Thanks for the replies. I went into the see my gyno about 7 months ago because I started having allot of irritation and burning there. They've had me checked out for sooo many things, negative vaginal cultures, pelvic ultrasounds are fine, CT scan was fine. Pap smear was also fine. Very frustrating! sex is extremely painful and the only physical manifestation is lots of white thick discharge. I've never had a blister or sore, bump or wart. Up until all this started, I've been in a 4 year faithfully (both parts) comitted relatinship. He has never had anything weird or unusual. When the doc asked if it was possible for me to have herpes, I didn't see how it could be but I wanted to eliminate any possibility so agreed to test. If I caught something, it would have been 4 years ago... There's no way I could have caught something recently. And by now, of that were the case, I'd assume I would have IGG antibodies, am I correct? I have had chicken pox and mono in the past. All I want is to be reasured that I trust these results so I can be one step closer to knowing what is really causing this problem. Thank you :)
The person who commented below me is incorrect about IgM. The idea behind it in theory is that it's supposed to pick up a recent infection. That works for babies or infants. However, with adults it can be present in a reactivated (rather than new ) herpes infection, or not appear until IgG is formed, or cross react with a recent (not old ) case of mono, chicken pox, shingles (all part of the herpes fam) or and here's the kicker just plain be FALSE POSITIVE because of a technical error with the physical make up of the test. I've asked the question to the infectious disease specialist about past chicken pox and that's not the case. It's if there is a present case of chicken pox that it would cross react.

The point is it just leads to false positives in A LOT of cases. I've taken the test a handful of times and always the IgM is a false positive with the IgG remaining neg for both types. Doctors who learned in school that IgM means a possible recent infection will tell you to test again in 6 weeks because that it what the test read out says and that is what they learned. Unfortunately, there are a lot of doctors that aren't schooled in the ins and outs of these particular tests. And this is why on here we are told to IGNORE THE IGM.