Herpes Expert Forum
possible herpes?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

possible herpes?

hello. i am very stressed right now.on april 16 i had unprotected oral sex from an escort and than protected sex. when i first saw her lip there was no marks, but after my session, i noticed that on her outer rim of her lip, there was a red mark. no cuts or sores. she must of had make up on to cover it. i asked her about it and she said it was nothing and inflamed from eating too much french fries. she gave me a peck on the lip and i tried to move but am not sure if the mark touched my lip. after that night i have been very stressed. than on april 22, my upper lip started to swell up and some red ness. i went to the doctor and he looked at it and said its a coldsore( i never had a coldsore before). he gave me antiviral pills for 2 days. i took them and started abreva on my lip. on april 24 i than went to another doctor to see if i can get a refill after the 2 days were done, he said i didnt need them and didnt see any signs of the inflamed lips and perhaps the pills stopped the coldsore. my lips were still swollen and can be seen under sunlight. i am really stressed and worried i got hsv1 on the genitals. the only problems i have is my testicules are alittle sore.
my questions are
1. is there a chance i caught hsv1 in the genitals
2. is my cold sore a coldsore and did i get it from the oral?
3. what period of time should i expect to get symptons if i do, and will the antiviral pills affect the time frame of the genital herpes?
thank you
I suppose there is a chance that you acquired HSV 1 genitally.  However, that was two weeks ago.  If you've never had HSV 1 before, and you are looking this closely, I think you would have noticed something by now.  

Did the person that you saw for the cold sore evaluation do any testing of the swollen lip?  Has the lip swelling turn into anything more, like a blister?  

The antiviral pills were taken too late in the process to make any difference about infection.  If you had taken them within an hour or so, maybe, but not a week later.

If the lip situation returns, I would ask that a swab test be done to see if it might be herpes.  If it doesn't, I would move on.

Terri
also there is no pain, itching or tingling on the sore on my lip
No the first doctor didnt do any testing. And no blister have formed in 7 days. Im going back to the second doctor today and hoping its an different king of infection.
hello Terri, the doctor said it wasnt a coldsore and gave me some cream for it. im hoping this will return my lips to normal in a few days. i will keep you updated in my lips and genital area, thank you for your help
You're welcome.

Terri