Herpes Community
postherpetic syndrome: herpes zoster or herpes simplex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Is it possible to get postherpetic neuropathy from herpes simplex rather than herpes zoster?  I present with neuropathic pain about once or twice a year.  My first occurance was at about age 53.  I've had it on my head about 3 times, the hip bone, the rib cage, & my leg.  Sometimes there is a rash with it, sometimes not.  After taking Valtrex or Famvir for a few days it disappears completely.  From what I've read, shingles is not supposed to reoccur like that.  Is it possible that these episodes are caused from shingles or are they a by-product of some related herpes virus?  Would I be a candidate for the shingles vaccine?