Herpes Community
pregnant with herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

pregnant with herpes

I am now 35 weeks pregnant and starting to freak out about my birth - I am on antivirals but I am so scared of having a natural birth - just because what if I am the 1 in 1500 or the 1 in 3000 or the one in whatever that passes this dreaded disease to my baby.  But my husband thinks that natural is safer for me and the baby then c-section.  But if something happened to our baby because of this disease I could not live with myself.  All doctors tell me that if they were me they would have natural but I am not a gambling person.  I wish that my baby was breach or something so that I had no choice but to have c-section.  If a baby gets neonatal herpes aren't they always extremely sick, mentally handicapped, brain damaged, blind, etc,  I have had this dreaded virus for two years not sure what type but think it is HSV 2 - and what happens if I have no lessions at birth but am shedding virus on cervix or birth canal - will my baby get it.  I am so confused and stressed out - this stupid disease is robbing me from what should be a joyous time of my life.  I have two other children but did not have this dreaded virus when I had them.  Any advise here would sure help calm me down.
Please try to relax your Doctor and all concerned in your care will not put you or your baby at risk in any way,they are all very aware of the danger to your baby if you were to have an outbreak when giving birth was imminent and they would most certainly perform a C section if they had any concerns at all.
However you are clearly extremely stressed and worried about it and for that reason alone I think you need to discuss this with those involved with your care,incase this would continue to be a worry to you even after the birth so in the long term due to your anxiety perhaps a C section would be best for you regardless of whether you have an outbreak or not as it would be my concern that you would continue to have nagging doubts nomatter how hard they try to dispel your fears and I can fully understand that,this is a time of great joy and happiness for you and your husband and should not be allowed to be marred by fear and distress to you either during the birth of your baby orlafterwards and i'm sure everyone involved will understand and do everything possible to alleviate your worries and grant your wishes as to which method you would feel most comfortable and happy with.
Talk it through in depth with them then decide which option you would be happiest with.
If a natural birth is likely to cause you long term anxiety and fear then I'm sure they will go along with your wishes to have a C Section,it is after all up to you to decide what you feel is best for both you and your baby and to make your delivery the pleasant experience is should be.

Good Luck

Daisy