prodrome
Do people get prodrome symtpoms for herpes such as tingling, pain and flu symtoms before their first outbreak or only with reoccurent outbreaks? A lot of websites make it seem like for the first herpes outbreak you mostly get redness and lesions and the prodrome symtoms are for subsequent outbreaks. Can anyone shed light on this confusion?
I believe that prodrome symptoms such as tingling can occur before any outbreak (this may not necessarily happen though).  However, I think that the flu-like symptoms such as fever, malaise, and a general run-down feeling are mostly associated with the first outbreak.  Lesions are not part of prodrome - they are what constitute a herpes outbreak and will occur during the first and subsequent outbreaks.  Hope this helps.
Best,
Em  
Prodromes are ONLY for Recurrent Outbreaks!!! What you are reading is what a herpes outbreak is.. A Prodrome is something that happens during an recurrent breakout that signifies that the virus is coming up for air and ready to do business on the surface..
So which of you is the correct one? Is for the first outbreak or recurrent? Maybe one of the authority figures could weigh in.
Prodromes are only a recurrent outbreak thing, NOT an initial!! Check out Dr. Handsfields postings and he will say the same thing!!!