Herpes Community
range on testing for HSV2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

range on testing for HSV2

Regretfully with due suspicion of a partner that had agreed to exclusivity and lied to me about his sexual history  (but no admission of HSV2 nor HIV), I had reason to visit my doctor.  Bumps were confirmed to be mollescum, and the doctor ordered an HIV and HSV2 test, "just to make sure...routine."  I was horrified to get the results (Quest Diagnostics):
HSV 2 IGG, herpeselect Type Specif AB  Flags 2.6 Range H (reference is  1.1 positive.  

Because I have no behavioural risks, on my request 13 days later, I was retested.  To my absolute horror, the result came back at a flag of >5.0.  

I have a technical background; that the second result is more than twice that of the first, wiht the variation well beyond the range of the entire test--this does not make sense.  I am bewildered and don't know what to believe.  I have read that the results can be false postive at anything below 3.3.  

What should I believe?   Is there any test I can have that will definitely help me know what is really going on?   I have and never had any symptoms whatsoever (and I know this can be true with or without the virus.)  
Please help!

Thanks!
we recommend herpes WB blood testing to confirm the low positives ( though your repeat testing was over the 5 cut off rate ). I think in this situation, confirming your status for sure is a good idea. how to get the WB for herpes in the US is listed in our read before posting post on the forum.

keep asking questions!

grace