Herpes Community
red bump

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

red bump

if it is herpes, how long until red bump becomes a blister.....can herpes just be a bump.  also, can herpes happen in different areas on the penis (i.g. the head then the shaft.)
If you are having a serious outbreak, it should not be that long for the red bump to turn into a blister. Personally, I noticed a tender feeling in my genital area about 3 days before the blisters appeared. About a day before they appeared I noticed itching and red bumps around my vaginal region. When I woke up the next morning the little red bumps had turned into painful sores. I immediately went to the hospital and they said that they thought I had herpes (I will not know 100% for another two weeks until my test results come back). They gave mee Valtrex (a medication used to treat HSV2, genital herpes) and it seems to be working so chances are that I have genital herpes.

However, my partner on the other hand noticed small red bumps on the underside of his penis four days ago but these have not yet turned into blisters of any kind. My partner must also have this virus as we have had unprotected sex. I believe that signs and symptoms are more prevelant in females than in males.

To answer your other question, yes you can get bumps anywhere in your genital region. They can be on the head or your penis and even on the shaft. You can also get sores on the testicles and upper thigh.

It is probably best to get tested before you have a serious outbreak, so that you can avoid these unsightly, painful sores altogether. Remember, don't stress yourself out about these tiny bumps - they are probably nothing anyways and if it is herpes then stressing about it will only make it worse (stress is a trigger to having an outbreak).

Hope this helps.