Herpes Community
red spot on my upper lip

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

red spot on my upper lip

I have HSV1 genital for 10 years and never got a cold sore. I've been under a lot of stress the past few days and one popped up on my top upper lip right in the front. Its not a big nasty looking thing, more of red spot. not too bad... Is there anything that will clam it down so it goes back to normal? I canceled my plans for tonight and going relax with a movie to see if that helps... should I put anything on it?
at this point, not a lot to do for it. antivirals work best when started at the very first sign of a cold sore and topical abreva doesn't really do much for cold sores and is way over priced.  you can try steeping a tea bag , letting it cool to luke warm and using it as a compress several times a day. it reduces swelling and redness. ice also does the same.

could this be oral herpes? it could be but at this point too late for a culture to know for sure. should it reoccur, be seen within 48 hours of its appearance for a lesion culture to know for sure.   you can get regular pimples too in that area as well as other infections.

grace