redness and pimple like in pubic area
I have redness that is a little painful and a little itchy.  I thought it was either a ingrown hair or pimple.  There was a little bump surrounded my redness in my pubic area.  Maybe a half inch above my shaft in the pubic area.  I didn't notice any opening or anything and it was hard around the bump.  It later started to scab even though I didn't see a opening.  The scab came off when I was in the shower.  It's been over a week and its still sore and red.  I had an ear infection and was given antibiotics.  I was told by the family doctor if it is a in grown hair that it will help this problem too.  He thought it looked like one but wasent sure.  I have a girl friend and only have sex with her.  I don't shave my pubic area but do trim it.  What does this problem sound like??  Could it be herpes??  Thanks
you were seen and your provider didn't think this looked like herpes. It also doesn't sound like herpes either.

have you and your gf had full std testing that included herpes testing before you started being intimate?

grace
I have had testing.  My last one was june of 2011.  She said she had testing 3 years ago and that she was only with her ex boyfriend during those three years and she has never had any type of outbreak.  But im not sure what type of herpes if any she had.  I have been with her for almost 7 months.  I tested negative on for herpes 1 and 2 in last june.  I was curious and went and got tested today and should receive results next week.  You don't think a single pimple like pump surrounded by redness sounds like herpes??  There was never any blister I could see.  But it did scab.  Its been like this for 10 days.  
As Grace said, no reason to think herpes based on your exam. Sometimes a pimple is just a pimple. If you are questioning your GF's testing, then see if in fact she was tested, or have her test again.
Got the test results back and tested negative for both 1 and 2.  But I am still worried and scheduled a appointment with a skin doctor this week.  The problem area has not gone away.  It is still red and a little itchy and I have had a scab on there for 4 or so days.  It wont go away.  After this I dont think it is a pimple.  Is this normal for ingrown hairs??  How long to herpe scabs usually heal??  This is making me  more worried.  It is itchy.  Not much pain.  Just itch and the scab.  Any ideas?? Sound like herpes that wasnt detected in my last test?? Thanks
why so fixated on herpes?
I think I am because it is in my pubic area and you always hear horror stories about people having it and not knowing.  The fact is in jan. i broke up with my girlfriend for about 3 weeks and slept with another girls twice.  I used condoms both times and she performed oral sex on me too.  I don't know her status.  I have since gotten back with my girlfriend but am now worried to have a sexual relationship with her since this irritation and scab have appeared.  Even though its not directly on my genitals it is in my pubic area for the last 3 weeks.  I worried that I might give something to her.  
Sounds like an ingrown hair or some sort of folliculitis to me. Google folliculitis and read about it a little.. May put your mind at ease.
Grace, what do you think about my situation??
Ok so my doctor did a culture of it for bacteria and it came back negative for bacteria.  Im really worried now.  Its been 17 plus days and its still red around the scab now and the scab is not healing very fast.  I have started coving it up when I take a shower so it doesn't get moist.  I'm worried that it is herpes now.  I was hoping it would be a bacteria infection and not a viral infection.  When I had sex in janaury with the girl I used a condom so maybe thats why its not on my genital area and is in my pubic region.  i wish there could be someway to confirm this.  I know I didn't get it from my girlfriend because when I got tested this month it came back negative.  And if im positive it would be to early to come back correct since the incident happened in jan.  
Google folliculitis
Ok here's the update.  Now I am more worried then ever.  As I said before there was a scab.  Now when I get out of the shower today I look at my scab and I see it is improved but not completely healed.  But what worried me was about this was three small white bumps next to the scab.  I picked off one and it was hard white head it seemed.  I think its herpes or maybe maybe a staph infection.  I'm scared to death that I passed whatever this is to my girlfriend.  Can someone help me here??  I have an appointment with skin doctor