Herpes Community
repetitive outbreaks

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

repetitive outbreaks

I have been getting cold sores since I was young.  I am an constantly stressful person I would usually only get outbreak (cold sore) once or twice a year but later in my later 20's I was getting outbreaks twice in a month or every month so I was prescribed  1gm of valtrex daily dosage.  which would help for the most part and brought my outbreaks down to none or once a year again.  but recently I have been getting outbreaks once a month it started out as fever blisters every month now this month I have a cold sore.   I am at my wit's end and did everything to prevent an outbreak.  I took two valtrex, three lysine and applied abreva. and it still looks like an gross outbreak on my face.  I refused to leave my room and I am upset for having this disgusting disease.  I have been suffering from the humiliation of these out breaks for over 20 years and i want to see it end. and it is very difficult dating someone since everyone wants a disease free partner.
I'm sorry to hear you are having so many outbreaks and can understand why you feel so low,but I think you're problem is that when you have an outbreak it is throwing you into a stressful situation and causing you to hide away probably paying way too much attention to it,you need to realise that Herpes loves Stress so the more you stress the more you will have outbreaks,the trick is to take your suppressive therapy every day and if you still have an outbreak pay as little attention as possible to it,don't worry about it or sit around waiting for it to go away,get out there in the fresh air,be good to yourself eat well drink lots of water and take some excercise DO NOT let Herpes interfere with your life to this extent,picking and poking will not help the healing process in any way it will simply cause it to take even longer to heal.
There are people living daily with much worse than a cold sore to worry about so accept you have a very common skin condition and relax down about it,it's not the end of the world and certainly no reason to stay indoors hiding away thats just silly! ..... remember 80% of the population have oral cold sores you are not alone with this .....
It may help to get a relaxation CD and take 30mins each day just to relax, my feeling here is that you are quite stressed out and this will not help your situation with HSV.

Daisy

Thanks Daisy for your insight
Fever blisters and cold sores are the same thing - oral herpes.  

I recommend going to your provider to be checked out. Suddenly getting cold sores this frequently again might mean that something else is going on like a bacterial infection or an allergic reaction or something.  

You are still taking valtrex daily?

grace
yes I am taking valtrex daily
Definitely follow up on this - don't just assume it's cold sores going on.

grace