Herpes Community
risk of auto-inoculation with saliva

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

risk of auto-inoculation with saliva

I am experiencing a small blister-like thing on the inside of my lip-its right on the edge of the inside of my mouth and my lip. it is small, one only, and looks like a tiny pimple (white inside) but not very full. it is not painful or itchy and i dont recall feeling tingling sensations. I noticed it yesterday.
I am extremely nervous for two reasons: 1) I don't recall ever having had a cold sore before if that is what it is 2) I touched my genitals using saliva three days ago, obviously unaware that this thing would arise. Now I am terrifies of auto-inoculation. Can someone tell me what the risk or probability of this happening is?

really no reason to fear that you've transmitted an oral herpes infection to your genital area.

have you been seen yet and had this looked at?

have you ever been tested for herpes to know your status?

if you have a regular partner, have they ever been tested to know their own status?

grace
Hi Grace,
Thanks for your swift reply.
The blister still is the same size, if anything it looks like it is smaller. I have been tested for Herpes in October, but I believe it was a test for HSV 2 (I have to double check). Either way, it came up negative.
I haven't had this looked at as I am in the mountains, but do you suggest I do so as soon as I am back (thursday?)
certainly get it checked out if it's still there then.

you should look into your herpes testing you had done to see if it was the right testing or not too.

grace
Hello Grace,
The blister is gone  (it never opened or got painful either) but I still want to do some sort of testing. I was tested for Herpes type 2 in a culture AND blood test in Oct, and both came up negative (no numbers she just said negative).
I have not been tested for type 1.
My question is this: since this is the first time i have seen symptoms of cold sores, should I wait to be tested for HSV1 or can I do it immediately?

have you had any partners since october?

have you kissed anyone recently?
I have had a regular partner since slightly before I was tested in october. I have kissed him, obviously, but no one else.
has your partner been tested for herpes to know their status?
According to him he doesn't have genital heroes but I don't know if he has been tested for type 1
odds are he's never been tested for herpes. you'll need to find out his status. ask him to show you test results on paper.