Herpes Community
scab

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

scab

i recently had sex with someone and the day after we had sex he had a scab on the shaft of his penis. The scab looked like rug burn or friction burn which was very similar to the burn i had on my knee from that same night. I am now worried that this may be herpes but we looked online together at some of the pics and symptoms and it does not look like this. It has been 3 days and i have an appointment in 3 days to see my gyno to get tested in case. Can anyone provide insite to whether this is herpes or friction burn. The night we had sex i wasnt shaved and i also wasnt dry. The sex was a little rough and there was a point where i was rubbing his shaft without a lubricant.
This could be many different things.

odds are that neither of you have ever had a type specific herpes igg blood test before. both of you should be getting tested, not just you.  

grace
i actually had a type specific herpes test in dec 08 and hsv 1 and hsv 2 were both negative. this was a blood drawn test. Im still going to get tested and him as well but im not sure when his appointment is. I did see his penis the night we had sex and it didnt look like he had any blemishes on the shaft. Is it possible for a herpes scab to appear overnight. I saw his penis about 24 hrs after the sexual encounter. The scab is dry and does not appear to weep or have any blistering. I guess my worry is it will be only 1 week since the encounter when i get tested. I have no sores or scabs myself but it has only been 3 days since the sexual encounter. Will the test even be accurate at this point after contact if it is herpes.
A herpes lesion isn't going to show up and scab in 24 hours.

A test for you won't be accurate at this point. You'll need to wait a few months. Ask your partner to get tested if he hasn't been since his last partner.

grace
what kind of doctor would be best for him to go to? can he go to a gyno or is it best to go to a dermatologist?
His regular doctor can order the blood test for him.  

He can even order it up himself thru www.tstd.org or www.healthcheckusa.com if he lives in the US and either of them have participating labs near him. It runs around $100 for the herpes igg blood test thru both.

grace