Herpes Community
should I be worried
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

should I be worried

if you wipe yourself while having an outbreak of hsv2 and forget to wash your hands then minutes later put your fingers in someones mouth can they contract hsv2
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Herpes dies once it hit air. If you touch yourself where the sores are and air hits the virus, it dies. That is why you need the shedding from skin to skin contact where air isn't a factor.
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
Actually herpes doesn't die once it hits the air.

That said though - just touching yourself and then putting your fingers in someone's mouth isn't enough to transmit the virus to them orally.

If you meant wiping yourself as in you went to the bathroom and then didn't wash your hands and then a few minutes later put them in someone's mouth - I just have to say it - EEEEWWWWWWWWW.

grace
Blank
This is refererenced in PubMed.

The herpes virus is quite fragile. HSV does not survive outside the body for more than about 10 seconds, and although it can survive for slightly longer in warm, damp conditions, it dies very quickly once exposed to the air

Were you talking about the 10 seconds and damp conditions Grace or is this wrong?
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
  It's been shown to be detected on surfaces up to almost 24 hours later in some studies. I'd be very uncomfortable saying it dies in 10 seconds to someone.  As I've said many times before though - it also takes more than just coming in contact with the virus to transmit it. It takes some heat and friction too for it to happen.   Good ole hot and steamy sex or a really lusty kiss are still the best ways to transmit it as adults.  It's not something you are going to pick up from sheets, towels, toilet seats etc.

grace
Blank
ok so can anybody answer this question I thought a doctor would
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
This is not the doctor's forum. If you want them to answer you have to ask on their forum and pay to do so.

We already answered your question for you anyways.

grace
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank