Herpes Community
still burning

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

still burning

19 days ago i had sex, used a condom for oral and vaginal sex but after we finished he told me he started to put condom on upside down and just flipped it over. I performed the oral sex first then vaginal sex. So 2 days after I began to get vaginal burning so went to std clinic the next day (day 3). Got vaginal swab for herpes and blood tests done all cam e back negative. About a week after sex I got a sore throat and felt achy, no temperature. I also had an outbreak of oral herpes around this time, I have had this since I was young but this time the coldsore was on the inside of my lips.About 10 days after the incident went back to clinic ffor  rest of std tests, they also came back normal including thrush and uti. I haven't had any evident blisters or sores but the burning continues, it is not where near as bad as it was but things just don't feel right down there. The std nurse just told me to come back if i get blisters and to stop worrying about it. I have been extremely stressed about this. So my questions are is there any chance it is not genital herpes, what else could cause the burning when clear for other std's, thrush and uti? If the burning is a mild case of herpes when can I expect it to end and can I expect to get blisters some time soon or is this how my outbreaks will present.
It's unlikely that the burning is from herpes as indicated by the STD specialist you saw. Follow his/her recommendations, and if you do have blisters follow up. If you are that concerned about herpes then get tested three months post exposure.

Have you ever been tested for HSV-1 or HSV-2 in the past?
Yes about 10 years ago was tested for both, came back positive for HSV1 and negative for HSV2 (I just realised I wrote that I was negative for HSV1 in my original post- mistake). I just can't get it out of my head that this is herpes, especially when everything else has come up negative and having a different type of oral sore than usual. Would I be likely to develop blisters this late after exposure especially when I have had the burning for 19 days now?
Since you already have oral HSV-1, genital HSV-1 is not a concern. The only possibility is HSV-2. Symptoms will present themselves in usually 2-10 days, but for some it can take up to 21 days. If you haven't had painful blisters then it's likely it isn't herpes. To be sure you can be tested 3 moths post exposure for HSV-2; no need to test for HSV-1 since you already have it like most adults. It sounds like your symptoms are more in your head than anything because of your encounter. Follow the advice of the STD specialist; you're most likely fine!
Thank you for your responses, I was wondering whether the burning could be from me stressing about it. It does seem to get worse when I think about it and worry about it. I still get a bit confused because the nurse I saw at the clinic told me I could get HSV 1 from oral sex. Also could the different cold sores i got about 1 week after sex be HSV2 from performing oral sex after the condom had been turned over?
you can contract hsv2 orally but the risk of that is low. I wouldn't think that this was hsv2 orally even though your symptoms were in a different spot.

your flu like symptoms sound like the upper respiratory stuff that almost everyone you know has had in the last month ( or will get in the next month - bad year for those germs ).  

protected oral sex is no risk for std's.

protected vaginal sex is a risk for syphilis, herpes and hpv. you can test for syphilis at 6 weeks post encounter if you are concerned, your provider can help you determine if the rates of syphilis infection in your area make it worth testing for or not. hsv2 igg testing can be done after 3 months post encounter. we don't have commercially available hpv tests to thoroughly cover that base for external hpv infections. we don't routinely recommend hpv dna testing with pap testing to test for hpv infections internally.

yes, hsv1 can be transmitted during oral sex but since you already have it yourself orally, it's not likely at all you'd contract it.  you also protected yourself by having protected oral sex which is why we recommend it.

keep asking questions!

grace
I really appreciate your answers. So can I still class it as protected oral sex when he turned the condom over, wouldn't that expose me to anything that may be on his penis any way, like sores. What are my chances of developing genital blisters this long after the sex ( I feel I have to keep checking myself everday and it is very stressful). Can you suggest any other possible reason for the burning ( possibly just anxiety), when all other tests were negative?
correct - his turning it over isn't a real risk for anything.  

call off the crotch watch - not worth it!!

dryness and irritation can cause burning. if it  lasts more than another week or two, be seen again and retested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally.
I am really trying to take your advice and stop checking but the last couple of days I have been getting a bit of a prickly feeling with the burning, amd last night my clitoris was very red and looked like the skin was peeling off a little, it wasn't very sore but I have become quite itchy in the peruneum area and around the pubic area. It has been 3 weeks now since the encounter, am I just being paranoid, does this sound like herpes or more like thrush?
sounds a lot like a yeast infection. be seen and tested to know for sure - don't self treat.
Too late, I started a treatment today of canestan pessary. What is the harm I could do?
women self diagnose yeast properly only 30% of the time. typically not worth self diagnosis and home treatment.  
Ok now I'm starting to worry, 3 nights ago which would be 26 days after encounter I started getting tingly down my thigh and particularly in the back of my left thigh and around the cheek of my bottom. O then felt a couple of areas of burning on my left thigh near the join of the bottom, this is still going on 3 days later I haven't noticed any sores or anything in these areas but tonight I noticed some rash and pimply looking red dots on my bottom just at the top of the crack. Could this be herpes?
Also if I did have herpes on my bottom can my kids catch it from the toilet seat
no they will not.

if you have symptoms, be seen.
I am after a bit of clarification about herpes and I suppose my need to be tested. it has now been 8 weeks since my encounter. I am yet to have any obvious sores or blisters. I do get fairly regular feelings of irritation and itching on left side of my perineum(always in the same spot) and around my anus. I have had some pain when defecating but it feels the same as when I have had haemorrhouds or fissures in the past, My outer labia is quite often red and itchy, sometimes get prickly burning sensations in my vagina, and i get burning on my butt cheeks with the odd pimple here and there on my bottom and i get quite a particular burning sensation on the crease where my butt cheek meets the leg with the odd tiny red pimple. I have had 2 red spots on my outer labia which have been there for weeks, not changing, one I squeezed and a solid core came out then spot disappeared. Also sometimes when I sit down I get like a pressure feeling in my left butt cheek abit like a sore muscle but a bit different, does this happen with herpes? I suppose I am just confused because you have mentioned previusly not to worry as I would have noticed obvious sores and blisters by now, but if 80% of women who have HSV2 have symptoms so mild that they don't even know they have it could this be the case for me. Can you have symptoms such as burning and tingling for say 5-7 days without blisters appearing or are tingling symtoms (symptoms) always associated with blisters. Could I be having constant reoccurrences? I have since met someone so I suppose I just want to know whether I have a concern or should just live as if I don't have HSV2, I don't want to be irresponsible and give it to someone else. I mean I knew I didn't have it prior to this encounter so what are my chances of still not having it? I just don't seem to have felt right in that area since the encounter. Also can you still masturbate with HSV2, what are the chances of herpetic whitlow or causing outbreaks? Thank you.
have you went to be seen yet ?
I am getting results if 8 week blood tests tomorrowfor hsv 2. I know its a bit early but I'm impatient and now I have discovered a small papercut just near vagina. I haven't had sex to cause a cut, I did use a tampon with applicator 2 days ago but I know that is clutching at straws. I don't know how to handle this, its pretty conclusive know. I am n having a lot of trouble coping with this, I can't tell my friends or family and I feel very isolated and alone. I have 2 young children and I just feel so contagious. I am posting this yo try and keep my sanity. I am 40 and going through a separation and I feel a bit desperate right now. Before I had the papercut I still held out hope now Ijyst want to curl up in bed all day and cry. How do I get through this.
did you also get an exam too?
No I didn't get a visual exam done. I didn't think there was anything worth looking at at the time but I will get one tomorrow when I go back for results.
usually paper cut tears are from thinning skin or trauma to the skin. yeast issues can cause the skin to thin as can hormonal issues ( like being on the birth control pill ). It's more important to be seen every time you have symptoms than it is to get blood testing done to be honest.
Well my 8wk blood test was negative for hsv2, I know its non conclusive but at least it gives me hope. I was positive for hsv1 but I already knew that. Just double checking that I can't get genital hsv1 when I already get it orally? The scary thing today was the info the gp told me that herpes can only be spread when the are lesions, even I kno that's not true. On exam all she saw was what she thought was a tiny wart. I went straight to STD clinic for second opinion. They said they saw nothing that resembles a wart anywhere. Is it correct to assume that the clinic would know more than a gp. They saw no signs of a papercut but some discharge so they swabbed for bc
you can contract hsv1 genitally when you have it orally but the odds of such are incredibly low.  It's really not a realistic worry.

Hi, your story sounds like mine. Symptoms very similar. May I ask, did the itching on your clitoris start within a few days after the encounter? I am still having a sort of itch/ irritation there and I swear I see 2 tiny pimple like appearances right on the tip of my clitoris when it bothers me. Of course these are never there when I go to the doctor. I am scared they are herpes but cannot get anyone to advise on if herpes can appear like this on the clitoris. I also had herpes blood tests at 6&9 weeks, negative. I am now at 15.5 weeks and getting last one for confirmation. I am thinking of you and know exactly how you feel. I will pray for you...
Hi there, thanks for your comment, its amazing that it can actually make you feel better knowing your not the only one. The itching on my clitoris didn't start straight away it took a few weeks to start but i had the other itching and burning from the start. And today that burning has gotten worse again and I am very red  around vaginal opening and the skin there looks like the skin is peeling and there is tiny amounts of bleeding, I had similar to this yesterday but on exam was told they couldn't see anything and i have read that areas of peeling skin are symptoms of herpes. I am also very scared and the waiting game is agony. Good luck with your final test, post your results so i know how you went.
I had the red irritated skin at vaginal opening too, still have a small area that is slightly pink and sore. The skin at the vaginal opening is what I would call "flaky" and I asked my doctor about that and she said that was normal. I did not have any bleeding but very red and sore and had the small tear, did they test you for BV? That is what I came up positive for, 3 times. I am still scared I have herpes too but with non classic symptoms and the BV. I feel tingling now and then and sometimes I think I have pain in my legs. Not sue if this is my mind playing tricks. I am going for the blood test today. I will be a nervous wreck for the next few days and if it is positive not sure what I am going to do. I will post the results and please keep updating so I know how you are doing. My Prayer  are with you
I am going through the same thing as you. it started in med feb. had vaginal burning, I had "papercut feeling" down younder (not sure if that was because of monistat, I've had a bad reaction to it in he past) I had symptoms for 3 days I would say and then it all went away for a day or two, then would come and go throughout the day. I had some groin pain as well. The thing is that it was all together. It  was

day one vaginal burning
day two vaginal bruning/papercut feeling
day three minimal vaginal burning
day four nothing
day five nothing
day six random burning while sitting down at work (stand up it went away)day seven same as day six
day eight  back ache
day nine slight vaginal burning

Nothing is consistent or all together. It's like one symptom after the next. I am playing the waiting game until June so it's be a long month. :(
I have a question about hsv1, I think I have a cold sore just inside my nose I have had this before and my question is if  it is s cold sore does that mean my lips are more contagious at this point as well because the virus has reactivated in that area
Also wanted to know if the western blot test is available in Australia, I'm thinking of taking it?
I'm not sure what confirmatory testing is available in australia. If you google, there is a herpes support group there that can probably help you better.   honestly I'd be thinking non-herpes related causes for your symptoms and not focus on more herpes blood testing.

yes, you are shedding from the area of the cold sore as well as your oral area when you have obvious cold sores.

Today I discovered a couple of skin tears near my anus similar to what was on my vagina. I am trying to get an appointment to have it checked out. Is this  bad sign? Do you still think I shouldn't worry about further herpes blood testing, was hsv 2- at 8 weeks. Problem is I'm still concerned about genital hsv1 even though had oral hsv1 for about 20-25 years. I really appreciate all your input grace.
many things can cause these symptoms. odds are it isn't herpes but being seen is the best thing to do.
Thankyou Grace I always appreciate your quick responses. I had hem examined at std clinic and asked for a swab, 2 nurses looked at them and said they don't look herpetic and when I asked about swabbing he said there really isn't anything th swab. Should I have been more insistent or should I accept that they know what they are talking about?
Also they are testing trichomoniasis as its the only std they haven't checked for incase it is causing me the irritation.
really no good reason to doubt their opinion at this point.

did they test for yeast?

did they offer opinion to what they think it is?

have you been constipated lately?

grace
Yes they tested yeast and bv both negative. They said they saw what looked like a vein just under the surface. My bottom is very itchy lately. Bowel motions have been normal. I think I need to learn to trust they know more than me:)
meanwhile try something as simple as a barrier cream to your anal and genital area to help protect the skin and soothe it. a&d, desitin, aquaphor etc all are helpful.
Had my test at just under 16 weeks, came in as equivocal at 1.08. Now I'm freaking out. I called my doctor and they said this is neither negative or positive , but I feel like it is positive . All others negative and now this one on the high questionable side. Also reading more and more on atypical herpes symptoms and a lot are like mine. I am going to ask for one more test. I don't think I can take this anymore. I am ready to go insane ...
What does this mean for you. I can just imagine how stressed you are about this, I would be feeling exactly the same. Hopefully your next test will provide some answers. I'm thinking of you.
Hi just wanting to know if it worth getting irritated itching areas swabbed. You've mentioned its best to get symptoms seen more than blood tests, and as these are my only symptoms will swabbing them help.
I wouldn't bother with swabbing them for herpes unless a provider visually thinks they are herpes. be seen , get them checked out and go from there.  
Went to the doctor yesterday and her herpes knowledge is not what you read about. She said you can only catch it from a person having an outbreak and if I had it I would have sores. I did not feel confident in her knowledge at all. When I told her about the blood test she thought it strange and told me to retest in a month. Her thoughts are that this is not herpes. She said the red irritation at my vaginal entrance was the vestibules on my skin are "shredded" and prescribed a steroid ointment. She said that could definite cause the burning I feel, honestly I am disappointed. Another month of torture. I am trying to get ready to accept positive result just in case. Seems to coincidental that last test came in borderline. I think since I have HSV1 it is taking longer to build the antibodies. Grace feels I should not retest again. This is like a nightmare!
I had the same thing with my doctor, when I had my 8 week blood test done she said that it was conclusive, and similar to yours said that I would have obvious sores and it can only be caught when have active sores. It's scary that they are giving this information. Would another blood test ease your mind? I know I would probably want another one. My concern is that I dont know if my mind will ever be at ease. Even if I came back negative for hsv2 in the back of my mind I will be thinking I am one of the unlucky ones that has caught hsv1 genitally even though I have had it for years orally. The problem is once you get these thoughts in your head its hard to believe otherwise. Hopefully the steroid cream will work for you. Let me know how you go.
I feel like I have to get the next test or I will never rest . I went last Thursday and the whole weekend I was a mess. Monday morning I was sick to my stomach thinking if it, woke up in the middle of the night with panick attacks. I thought for sure this would give me my definite answer. I am still gaving strange feelings down there and I am upset that the doctor did not do another bacteria test. Since I had 3 in a tie you would think they would do one to be sure. I cannot believe gyno's do not know more about it. What did your level come in at?  I just feel like I have it. Never had any problems before this. Even if I didn't break out in sores I think I am just having less subtle signs. So good to talk to someone who can fully understand what it is like to go through this. Keep checking in.
I'm still in limbo but I'm sure this is "it" I'm experiencing itchy skin all over my body. Its been 6weeks of not feeling normal. I started applying desitin (purple tube) the zinc in it keeps herpes from surfacing to the skin. That has helped with all that irritation.
When was your last test? I used desiring for a while too but  that just costs the skin. Sometimes I wonder if I used Caltrain if that would help these symptoms?
I haven't tested yet but my body tingles, now sore muscle. There is zinc in desitin zinc supposedly doesn't allow herpes to surface. I have relief when using it so I use it if I'm going to be in the house/bed time.
Tonight I discovered what looks like a pimple on my butt cheek towards inner thigh but when I squeezed it a little bit of clear fluid came out. It isnt red or sore, stings a little after squeezing it. Is there any way to tell the difference between a pimple and a herpes sore. Can a pimple have clear fluid?, this not knowing is driving me crazy and of course it comes on a weekend and easter long weekend mind you so std clinic won't be open for another 3 days to get it checked. I cant imagine the hospital or doctors would be impressed if I rocked up to get a little pimple swabbed. I realised I forgot to mention originally that also received unprotected oral sex and rimming.
Sorry for my typos, auto spell ! I did not know that about desitin. I started taking Lysine as soon as I suspected herpes. Sometimes I wonder if that is keeping it at bay. Do you have a problem with any clothing rubbing against your crotch? Mine gets irritated when my underwater or pants are against it. Cannot wear jeans, when I'm at home I take my undies off and wear a nightgown and then it feels normal, for the most part. The steroid ointment seems to be helping the skin and burning somewhat but I still have weird tingling now and then and one day my clitoris feels normal then the next it bothers me. Just cannot figure this out. I thing herpes is the underlying cause, especially since the level went up.  Hard to get this off your mind isn't it?
That sounds like a pimple. Common to get on or two on the butt cheek now and then but I understand you questioning every little thing. Some days my irritation is more red then others and I wonder why? Also, why some days my clitoris feels and looks normal and other days is irritated and I see the little red spot which the doctor told me us just the skin but then why isn't it like that everyday? So frustrating.... Hang in there, we have each other to vent to
The Desitin seems to be helping me. I wear it as much as possible. I honestly don't have ANY pain, just slight burning and some tingles here and there. When I apply it that all goes away :) I have quit the Lysine as it makes me really bloated. I have been taking B12 and VitD daily and then I take a 50mg Zinc tablet at night ( I have read that zinc has to compete harder with other vitamins for absorbtion so I take it alone at night) My thighs muscles have become really sore. I am just facing the facts ( I have 'H') Will still get the blood test in June.

I really don't want to be on Valtrex or any other medication as I am not sexually active at this time. I am hoping that I can control this on my own without daily medication and will look into medication at a later time. I am going on my 7th week of this vaginal discomfort and it seems that I get a new symptom every few days I am just waiting on the sores (which I hope doesn't happen). I was reading in differnt forum that one woman had my burning symptom that lasted 3 months. Another one had experienced the burning for 6 months. Whichever it is I just want the symptoms gone and then figure out life.....UGH!
Hi.  I was using desitin but the doctor told me to stop. I honestly am not sure if it worked. Today is 4 th day on steroid ointment and my left side of labia is really red and irritated. The skin that was shredded was on the right, now I don't know what to think. I am so upset today. I think I want to go on suppressive medication as I am in a relationship. I just feel that this is "h". The left side where it is sore gives me strange pains in my left leg . I still think my BV is back also as I see white discharge when I examine myself which is 10 times a day and these symptoms are what I had before. I think I am calling another doctor for another opinion tomorrow. I feel like I cars it take this one more minute.
I really wouldn't be concerned that that was more than a pimple from the sounds of things.

Grace you really are a godsend. The fact that you answer so many people's questions and we don't have to wait long for a response is so amazing, and no matter what my outcome is using this forum has enabled me to keep a liitle bit of sanity. I'm sure I will bother you with another question soon but for now I just wanted to say thsnkyou:)
life is too short to be anxious needlessly!! Go and have fun ( well  not too much fun or you'll be back here...he he he )!!
I knew I would have to annoy you again lol. Can a herpes sore have white pus in it. Tonight I found a little bump on outer labia and when I squeezed it white pus came out, not clear fluid at all and it wasn't sore, I can't get it checked out cause its school holidays and I have no one to look after my kids, so just thought I'd get your opinion.
this doesn't sound like it's herpes.  
I've read that herpes can often be mistaken for haemorrhoids. What is the confusion between the two, do they look the same or is it the symptoms? I'm still getting anal itching and some pain aswell and when I look it looks like a couple of purple coloured bulges near the entrance to my anus, so just wanted to know how to tell the difference between the two. Thanks.
really easy to diagnose hemorrhoids if you are seen by a provider. they get a good angle to look back there. these sound like hemorrhoids and not herpes.
Hi grace, I read a response you wrote on someone else's post about antivirals to prevent outbreaks of coldsores. I am very interested in this as I am going away soon and I typically have an outbreak when o go away or get sunburnt. So do I just get a script from my doctor. Are there any side effects to the antivirals? Thanks.
headache, abdominal pain and nausea are the main side effects.   not to be confused with the headache, abdominal pain and nausea of drinking too much while on vacation because you are actually well rested and have time to actually sit back and knock back a few ;)

if you know you get a cold sore when at the beach, start antivirals a few days before you leave, stay on them while on vacation and then stop them when you get home . also always wear sunscreen and lip balm!!

the cheapest option is acyclovir 400mg twice a day. the most convenient option is valtrex - I'd go with the 1 gm a day dose for cold sore prevention.
Yeah I probably will be experiencing some of those symptoms without the antivirals lol. By the way it was haemorrhoids.
the otc suppositories for hemorrhoids work well as do the tucks pads. It's also entertaining to tuck a tucks in between your butt cheeks and walk around like a duck for 10 minutes while you use it as a compress too. Look at all the fun you are going to have with all of this :D
What a site that would be, my kids would be looking at me very strangely lol. I'm going back to the Dr tomorrow as things in that area are not getting better and today it is very red and irritated. I think I will get them to swab it for herpes as well as irritation is the only symptoms I have. Thanks again.
see - fun for the whole family :)

have you been using otc hemorrhoid treatments?

No I haven't used anything, the Dr didn't give me anything and I only read your post this morning about treatment options.
hit the hemorrhoid section at the drug store and give some of them a try :)
Hi grace I know this is a herpes forum bit I wanted to stay on the same thread. Last night I found a small genital wart on left side just on the edge of my vagina towards inner thigh just inside where my knickers sit. I am getting it confirmed on Wed but it has the characteristics of a wart, its about 2mm. Needless to say I am devastated, I was just getting over all my anxiety about herpes and then this. I don't know how much more I can take, I am an emotional wreck and being a single mum I'm finding it very hard to focus. So I have a few questions. Can I pass this to my kids in any way, cause I have read they are very contagious. Sometimes my 3 yr old will lay on my belly in bed and if we both only have knickers on and the wart is very close to the knickee line can she catch it, and the toilet seat worries me. Also I was going to visit a man I have been talking to for a few months now, so what kind of physical contact can we have, obviously I need to keep my knickers on. Can he touch my genitals, obviously no oral sex. I don't think I can tell him about it, ill have make up some excuse. I am really struggling with this:(
The irony to all this is that I have been so worried about the wart that I haven't noticed my other symptoms. Life can be cruel sometimes.
odds are the man you've been with for a few months also has hpv.

a wart on your genitals is no different from a wart on your fingers or feet. it's all a cosmetic issue.

just washing your hands after using the bathroom is all it takes for hpv. your kids laying on top of you is fine too.

stop back after your appointment to update us :)
Thanks grace, a response from you always makes me feel better, its like talking to a friend :) I know I have to keep this all in perspective. It's funny, actually having the wart doesn't concern me but the thought of giving it to someone else terrifies me. I'll let you know how it goes :)
Hi grace, here is my update. Just need to give you a bit of info first. So noticed this little bump on my left groin area about maybe 2.5 months ago while obsessively checking myself everyday, every time I saw it I was just thinking it didn't look like herpes cause its not changing or going away. So it wasn't till a couple of days ago I took a good look and thought it looks like a wart. So I dif what most obsessive internet searchers do and did the vinegar test. However I did not dilute the vinegar and I did not just use just a drop so as a result I have a nasty burn surrounding this bump. So went to the std clinic today, I was due to get my final 3 months post exposure blood tests anyway. So nurse had a quick look and said don't think its a wart but can't be 100% because it is burnt. He also said that while the vinegar test is not reliable it is a good indicator that it is not a wart as it didn't turn white.I explained that I really needed confirmation because I was going to be spending a week with a nee guy I had met. He said there is nothing to stop me from doing that, just use a condom as you always should. So what are your thoughts on his diagnosis and advice. Also surprisingly I had not had a look at the lump till I got home and it appeared to be flatter looking than before. Could the vinegar have already burnt it off, its probably been about 48 hrs since I put it on, it is  small bump about 1mm. Also I'm assuming warts can't go flat and then raise up again? I would love for your advice and hopefully this will be the end for me? Sorry its such a long update.
Forgot to add nurse thought it was probably a inflamed hair follicle or sebaceous gland, more the latter as it doednt have a hair growing out of it. I just had another look at it and it is pretty much flush with the skin now, not really raised at all. Is this a good sign that it wasn't a wart? Could the vinegar have helped with the other conditions. It was a one time application of vinegar for a couple of minutes. Thanks again. I am now going to go for a walk to try and stop obsessing over this:)
not likely a wart went away that quickly. if it's still there in another week, they can biopsy it to see what it is.
Thanks grace I just posted on the HPV forum with same question, didn't think I should keep going on the herpes forum.
Hey grace with a biopsy do they just take the lump or part of the skin as well?
you can keep it going here. would've been me answering anyways. the other regular poster there isn't exactly accurate in their replies sometimes and the doc there is from india and works in a nursing home I believe.  

they just take the lump when they biopsy it. it's really not as bad as it sounds and they numb the area before they do it too.
Ok. I think the reason I am particularly anxious about this is that I am going to visit my new man in 1.5 weeks so I would like to know if I can have sex or not, protected of course :) so if it is s wart and the vinegar did burn it off should I expect to see it go black or scab or something? At the moment its exactly the same colour but now its just flatter ( surrounded by horrible raw weeping skin, not a good idea).
I would refrain from sex at this point since you don't know what is going on.

put some desitin or aquaphor ointment on this for now.
I agree with you. So when you say I don't know what it going on for now, does that mean I need to get a biopsy or wait like 3 months to see if it grows back? Today again there is no lump so would they have to take some skin with a biopsy?
Also would a biopsy still be an option as I have possibly burnt the wart with the vinegar. Thanks.
let the skin heal at this point.
Hi grace, I posted a question on std expert forum, not because I don't trust or value your answers, I certainly do. It was because I had a lot more questions and I appreciate that you are very busy answering a lot of other people's questions as well. You have been a tremendous support to me and I am very grateful. I have decided for now to treat as a wart and not have sex, especially as it seems safe to still do other stuff like touching genitals, oral etc. I thought warts was the same as herpes and the entire genital area was contagious even with only one wart. As this is not the case we can still have some kind of sexual relationship. If the lesion comes back I will get it biopsies. Thankyou again for everything :). I will let you know of my 3 month blood results when I get them back next week
Hi, wishing you luck on you 3 month test... Hope your wart turns out to be just an ingrown hair or something simple...
Thankyou, its just really bad timing. I have been talking to this guy in another city and I am going to visit him next weekend. I just wish I hadn't done the stupid vinegar test so I could of got the lump biopsied to know what it was, I was just too impatient. I don't know if I can handle having or not having a condition that can't be tested for. I am stressing about this way more than I was for herpes, at least herpes has a blood test. How long did it take for biopsy site to heal. How is everything going for you, are things on the improve since your diagnosis?
It will be 4 weeks this Tuesday that I had the biopsy and I still have a small hole where the incision was. It was sore and tender there for about a week. It still does not feel completely normal down there but that could be from the Lichen Sclerosus. The steroid cream seems to be helping but I still feel uncomfortable in jeans , I try to wear skirts which feel the best . Wish I could help you more with the HPV , I did read up on that but not too much. Wish you luck... Keep us posted
Hopefully it won't be much longer for you and things will be back to normal. I wish I knew more about the HPV. The bump I had seems to have gone with the vinegar I put on so I don't know if that means it wasn't a wart. On the expert forum they said vinegar will not kill a wart but I don't know if I can conclude from that that it wasn't a wart, I'm sure you can appreciate that I would like to know for sure.
Yes, I can understand that. If it went was away with vinegar then it doesn't sound like a wart. I hope this turns out to be nothing for you. Do you still have burning and any redness? Maybe a biopsy would be in order?
No I don't having any burning or redness anymore. It's funny that once I had something else to worry about my other symptoms disappeared, the mind can do funny things. I don't think a biopsy is an option for the wart as there is no lump there anymore, so I guess I just wait and see if grows back, more waiting!!  I really regret that night 3 months ago:( Thanks for your support.
Yes, we all gave regrets. Let us know how you are going. Take care
Hi grace just an update. I got my test results back, so at 14.4 weeks after possible exposure I have tested negative hsv2 and + be for hsv1 as expected. So should I be confident in these results in the absence of any obvious symptoms? Also the small bump that was possibly a wart hasn't appeared to have returned since 2 days after putting one application of vinegar on it, is this a good indication it wasn't a wart? The burnt skin has almost healed. Thankyou again grace.
Congratulations, 14 weeks should be long enough. Go celebrate!
Hi grace, just a quick question do only latex condoms help protect against against HPV and hsv or are non latex just as good?
Hi grace, just trying to find out as much as I can about oral hsv 1 transmission. If I had a cold sore but didn't know and kissed my partner and then he performed oral sex on me and then we had vaginal sex could he catch it genitally. I hope this question makes sense:)
http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  for more reading if you haven't read it already.

you have significant protection from contracting hsv1 genitally since you have it orally. it's not 100% , but it's up there.  also the virus would  never lay around on your partner's lips to be transmitted to your genital area like that either.
Thanks grace I read the link. From that and your answer am I right to assume that my partner has minimal chance of catching hsv1 genitally from this episode. The kissing, then the oral then the vaginal sex were all straight after each other.
Today I noticed a red patch of skin on my vaginal area, just a bit above and to the right of my perineum. I thought there may have been some blisters. Not painful, just a bit irritated feelingm if touched.
Went to the Gp he had a look with a special light and said definitely not bacterial. It is superficial but no obvious blisters and there is a chance it is herpes. He took a swab (didn't hurt), said it was a PCR swab
1. If blisters had been present and popped before the visual exam would that have been evident and will it scab?
2. Is the PCR a reliable test with no blisters present?
3. I tested negative at 14.5 weeks post possible exsposure with a one night stand, Is it possible that I just hadn't seroconverted at that point and this is my first obvious outbreak?
4. I have put some zonc oxide on it for now. I f that helps it heal is there a chance it isn't herpes.
I am scared out of my mind right now, I haven't been more convinced than I am right now that i have herpes!!
Hi, Grace, I got my test results back and they were -be but it hasn't reassured me because I'm not sure how long it had been there before it was tested. I only knew it was there because I happened to do a visual inspection, it didn't hurt or anything. All I know is that is wasn't there a week before testing. So how much can I trust this result, PCR? I applied zinc oxide cream the night it was tested and it reduced it a lot overnight and was nearly gone another day later, but a slight red mark stayed for s few days after. Can zinc oxide cream help to heal herpes. My concern is that my negative blood test for hsv2 at 14.4 weeks post exposure was too early and  I hadn't seroconverted yet. What are my options from here. I was thinking to get blood tests done again as it has now been 7 months since that encounter and that could rule that out as a possible cause if I'm still negative. I will also keep checking and get tested if any more symptoms occur. Thanks
I think you have convinced yourself that you had to have contracted something from this encounter and you've settled on herpes as the likely suspect.

really, not everything that goes on in our genital area is std related.  at this point be seen every time you have symptoms for further evaluation.  
I know I know. I just need to know if you think the -ve result after 14.4 weeks can be reliable pls. Thank you so much for all your help:)