still burning
19 days ago i had sex, used a condom for oral and vaginal sex but after we finished he told me he started to put condom on upside down and just flipped it over. I performed the oral sex first then vaginal sex. So 2 days after I began to get vaginal burning so went to std clinic the next day (day 3). Got vaginal swab for herpes and blood tests done all cam e back negative. About a week after sex I got a sore throat and felt achy, no temperature. I also had an outbreak of oral herpes around this time, I have had this since I was young but this time the coldsore was on the inside of my lips.About 10 days after the incident went back to clinic ffor  rest of std tests, they also came back normal including thrush and uti. I haven't had any evident blisters or sores but the burning continues, it is not where near as bad as it was but things just don't feel right down there. The std nurse just told me to come back if i get blisters and to stop worrying about it. I have been extremely stressed about this. So my questions are is there any chance it is not genital herpes, what else could cause the burning when clear for other std's, thrush and uti? If the burning is a mild case of herpes when can I expect it to end and can I expect to get blisters some time soon or is this how my outbreaks will present.
The Desitin seems to be helping me. I wear it as much as possible. I honestly don't have ANY pain, just slight burning and some tingles here and there. When I apply it that all goes away :) I have quit the Lysine as it makes me really bloated. I have been taking B12 and VitD daily and then I take a 50mg Zinc tablet at night ( I have read that zinc has to compete harder with other vitamins for absorbtion so I take it alone at night) My thighs muscles have become really sore. I am just facing the facts ( I have 'H') Will still get the blood test in June.

I really don't want to be on Valtrex or any other medication as I am not sexually active at this time. I am hoping that I can control this on my own without daily medication and will look into medication at a later time. I am going on my 7th week of this vaginal discomfort and it seems that I get a new symptom every few days I am just waiting on the sores (which I hope doesn't happen). I was reading in differnt forum that one woman had my burning symptom that lasted 3 months. Another one had experienced the burning for 6 months. Whichever it is I just want the symptoms gone and then figure out life.....UGH!
Hi.  I was using desitin but the doctor told me to stop. I honestly am not sure if it worked. Today is 4 th day on steroid ointment and my left side of labia is really red and irritated. The skin that was shredded was on the right, now I don't know what to think. I am so upset today. I think I want to go on suppressive medication as I am in a relationship. I just feel that this is "h". The left side where it is sore gives me strange pains in my left leg . I still think my BV is back also as I see white discharge when I examine myself which is 10 times a day and these symptoms are what I had before. I think I am calling another doctor for another opinion tomorrow. I feel like I cars it take this one more minute.
I really wouldn't be concerned that that was more than a pimple from the sounds of things.

Grace you really are a godsend. The fact that you answer so many people's questions and we don't have to wait long for a response is so amazing, and no matter what my outcome is using this forum has enabled me to keep a liitle bit of sanity. I'm sure I will bother you with another question soon but for now I just wanted to say thsnkyou:)
life is too short to be anxious needlessly!! Go and have fun ( well  not too much fun or you'll be back here...he he he )!!
I knew I would have to annoy you again lol. Can a herpes sore have white pus in it. Tonight I found a little bump on outer labia and when I squeezed it white pus came out, not clear fluid at all and it wasn't sore, I can't get it checked out cause its school holidays and I have no one to look after my kids, so just thought I'd get your opinion.
this doesn't sound like it's herpes.  
I've read that herpes can often be mistaken for haemorrhoids. What is the confusion between the two, do they look the same or is it the symptoms? I'm still getting anal itching and some pain aswell and when I look it looks like a couple of purple coloured bulges near the entrance to my anus, so just wanted to know how to tell the difference between the two. Thanks.
really easy to diagnose hemorrhoids if you are seen by a provider. they get a good angle to look back there. these sound like hemorrhoids and not herpes.
Hi grace, I read a response you wrote on someone else's post about antivirals to prevent outbreaks of coldsores. I am very interested in this as I am going away soon and I typically have an outbreak when o go away or get sunburnt. So do I just get a script from my doctor. Are there any side effects to the antivirals? Thanks.
headache, abdominal pain and nausea are the main side effects.   not to be confused with the headache, abdominal pain and nausea of drinking too much while on vacation because you are actually well rested and have time to actually sit back and knock back a few ;)

if you know you get a cold sore when at the beach, start antivirals a few days before you leave, stay on them while on vacation and then stop them when you get home . also always wear sunscreen and lip balm!!

the cheapest option is acyclovir 400mg twice a day. the most convenient option is valtrex - I'd go with the 1 gm a day dose for cold sore prevention.
Yeah I probably will be experiencing some of those symptoms without the antivirals lol. By the way it was haemorrhoids.
the otc suppositories for hemorrhoids work well as do the tucks pads. It's also entertaining to tuck a tucks in between your butt cheeks and walk around like a duck for 10 minutes while you use it as a compress too. Look at all the fun you are going to have with all of this :D
What a site that would be, my kids would be looking at me very strangely lol. I'm going back to the Dr tomorrow as things in that area are not getting better and today it is very red and irritated. I think I will get them to swab it for herpes as well as irritation is the only symptoms I have. Thanks again.
see - fun for the whole family :)

have you been using otc hemorrhoid treatments?

No I haven't used anything, the Dr didn't give me anything and I only read your post this morning about treatment options.
hit the hemorrhoid section at the drug store and give some of them a try :)
Hi grace I know this is a herpes forum bit I wanted to stay on the same thread. Last night I found a small genital wart on left side just on the edge of my vagina towards inner thigh just inside where my knickers sit. I am getting it confirmed on Wed but it has the characteristics of a wart, its about 2mm. Needless to say I am devastated, I was just getting over all my anxiety about herpes and then this. I don't know how much more I can take, I am an emotional wreck and being a single mum I'm finding it very hard to focus. So I have a few questions. Can I pass this to my kids in any way, cause I have read they are very contagious. Sometimes my 3 yr old will lay on my belly in bed and if we both only have knickers on and the wart is very close to the knickee line can she catch it, and the toilet seat worries me. Also I was going to visit a man I have been talking to for a few months now, so what kind of physical contact can we have, obviously I need to keep my knickers on. Can he touch my genitals, obviously no oral sex. I don't think I can tell him about it, ill have make up some excuse. I am really struggling with this:(
The irony to all this is that I have been so worried about the wart that I haven't noticed my other symptoms. Life can be cruel sometimes.
odds are the man you've been with for a few months also has hpv.

a wart on your genitals is no different from a wart on your fingers or feet. it's all a cosmetic issue.

just washing your hands after using the bathroom is all it takes for hpv. your kids laying on top of you is fine too.

stop back after your appointment to update us :)
Thanks grace, a response from you always makes me feel better, its like talking to a friend :) I know I have to keep this all in perspective. It's funny, actually having the wart doesn't concern me but the thought of giving it to someone else terrifies me. I'll let you know how it goes :)
Hi grace, here is my update. Just need to give you a bit of info first. So noticed this little bump on my left groin area about maybe 2.5 months ago while obsessively checking myself everyday, every time I saw it I was just thinking it didn't look like herpes cause its not changing or going away. So it wasn't till a couple of days ago I took a good look and thought it looks like a wart. So I dif what most obsessive internet searchers do and did the vinegar test. However I did not dilute the vinegar and I did not just use just a drop so as a result I have a nasty burn surrounding this bump. So went to the std clinic today, I was due to get my final 3 months post exposure blood tests anyway. So nurse had a quick look and said don't think its a wart but can't be 100% because it is burnt. He also said that while the vinegar test is not reliable it is a good indicator that it is not a wart as it didn't turn white.I explained that I really needed confirmation because I was going to be spending a week with a nee guy I had met. He said there is nothing to stop me from doing that, just use a condom as you always should. So what are your thoughts on his diagnosis and advice. Also surprisingly I had not had a look at the lump till I got home and it appeared to be flatter looking than before. Could the vinegar have already burnt it off, its probably been about 48 hrs since I put it on, it is  small bump about 1mm. Also I'm assuming warts can't go flat and then raise up again? I would love for your advice and hopefully this will be the end for me? Sorry its such a long update.
Forgot to add nurse thought it was probably a inflamed hair follicle or sebaceous gland, more the latter as it doednt have a hair growing out of it. I just had another look at it and it is pretty much flush with the skin now, not really raised at all. Is this a good sign that it wasn't a wart? Could the vinegar have helped with the other conditions. It was a one time application of vinegar for a couple of minutes. Thanks again. I am now going to go for a walk to try and stop obsessing over this:)
not likely a wart went away that quickly. if it's still there in another week, they can biopsy it to see what it is.
Thanks grace I just posted on the HPV forum with same question, didn't think I should keep going on the herpes forum.
Hey grace with a biopsy do they just take the lump or part of the skin as well?
you can keep it going here. would've been me answering anyways. the other regular poster there isn't exactly accurate in their replies sometimes and the doc there is from india and works in a nursing home I believe.  

they just take the lump when they biopsy it. it's really not as bad as it sounds and they numb the area before they do it too.
Ok. I think the reason I am particularly anxious about this is that I am going to visit my new man in 1.5 weeks so I would like to know if I can have sex or not, protected of course :) so if it is s wart and the vinegar did burn it off should I expect to see it go black or scab or something? At the moment its exactly the same colour but now its just flatter ( surrounded by horrible raw weeping skin, not a good idea).
I would refrain from sex at this point since you don't know what is going on.

put some desitin or aquaphor ointment on this for now.
I agree with you. So when you say I don't know what it going on for now, does that mean I need to get a biopsy or wait like 3 months to see if it grows back? Today again there is no lump so would they have to take some skin with a biopsy?
Also would a biopsy still be an option as I have possibly burnt the wart with the vinegar. Thanks.
let the skin heal at this point.
Hi grace, I posted a question on std expert forum, not because I don't trust or value your answers, I certainly do. It was because I had a lot more questions and I appreciate that you are very busy answering a lot of other people's questions as well. You have been a tremendous support to me and I am very grateful. I have decided for now to treat as a wart and not have sex, especially as it seems safe to still do other stuff like touching genitals, oral etc. I thought warts was the same as herpes and the entire genital area was contagious even with only one wart. As this is not the case we can still have some kind of sexual relationship. If the lesion comes back I will get it biopsies. Thankyou again for everything :). I will let you know of my 3 month blood results when I get them back next week
Hi, wishing you luck on you 3 month test... Hope your wart turns out to be just an ingrown hair or something simple...
Thankyou, its just really bad timing. I have been talking to this guy in another city and I am going to visit him next weekend. I just wish I hadn't done the stupid vinegar test so I could of got the lump biopsied to know what it was, I was just too impatient. I don't know if I can handle having or not having a condition that can't be tested for. I am stressing about this way more than I was for herpes, at least herpes has a blood test. How long did it take for biopsy site to heal. How is everything going for you, are things on the improve since your diagnosis?
It will be 4 weeks this Tuesday that I had the biopsy and I still have a small hole where the incision was. It was sore and tender there for about a week. It still does not feel completely normal down there but that could be from the Lichen Sclerosus. The steroid cream seems to be helping but I still feel uncomfortable in jeans , I try to wear skirts which feel the best . Wish I could help you more with the HPV , I did read up on that but not too much. Wish you luck... Keep us posted
Hopefully it won't be much longer for you and things will be back to normal. I wish I knew more about the HPV. The bump I had seems to have gone with the vinegar I put on so I don't know if that means it wasn't a wart. On the expert forum they said vinegar will not kill a wart but I don't know if I can conclude from that that it wasn't a wart, I'm sure you can appreciate that I would like to know for sure.
Yes, I can understand that. If it went was away with vinegar then it doesn't sound like a wart. I hope this turns out to be nothing for you. Do you still have burning and any redness? Maybe a biopsy would be in order?
No I don't having any burning or redness anymore. It's funny that once I had something else to worry about my other symptoms disappeared, the mind can do funny things. I don't think a biopsy is an option for the wart as there is no lump there anymore, so I guess I just wait and see if grows back, more waiting!!  I really regret that night 3 months ago:( Thanks for your support.
Yes, we all gave regrets. Let us know how you are going. Take care
Hi grace just an update. I got my test results back, so at 14.4 weeks after possible exposure I have tested negative hsv2 and + be for hsv1 as expected. So should I be confident in these results in the absence of any obvious symptoms? Also the small bump that was possibly a wart hasn't appeared to have returned since 2 days after putting one application of vinegar on it, is this a good indication it wasn't a wart? The burnt skin has almost healed. Thankyou again grace.
Congratulations, 14 weeks should be long enough. Go celebrate!
Hi grace, just a quick question do only latex condoms help protect against against HPV and hsv or are non latex just as good?
Hi grace, just trying to find out as much as I can about oral hsv 1 transmission. If I had a cold sore but didn't know and kissed my partner and then he performed oral sex on me and then we had vaginal sex could he catch it genitally. I hope this question makes sense:)
http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  for more reading if you haven't read it already.

you have significant protection from contracting hsv1 genitally since you have it orally. it's not 100% , but it's up there.  also the virus would  never lay around on your partner's lips to be transmitted to your genital area like that either.
Thanks grace I read the link. From that and your answer am I right to assume that my partner has minimal chance of catching hsv1 genitally from this episode. The kissing, then the oral then the vaginal sex were all straight after each other.
Today I noticed a red patch of skin on my vaginal area, just a bit above and to the right of my perineum. I thought there may have been some blisters. Not painful, just a bit irritated feelingm if touched.
Went to the Gp he had a look with a special light and said definitely not bacterial. It is superficial but no obvious blisters and there is a chance it is herpes. He took a swab (didn't hurt), said it was a PCR swab
1. If blisters had been present and popped before the visual exam would that have been evident and will it scab?
2. Is the PCR a reliable test with no blisters present?
3. I tested negative at 14.5 weeks post possible exsposure with a one night stand, Is it possible that I just hadn't seroconverted at that point and this is my first obvious outbreak?
4. I have put some zonc oxide on it for now. I f that helps it heal is there a chance it isn't herpes.
I am scared out of my mind right now, I haven't been more convinced than I am right now that i have herpes!!
Hi, Grace, I got my test results back and they were -be but it hasn't reassured me because I'm not sure how long it had been there before it was tested. I only knew it was there because I happened to do a visual inspection, it didn't hurt or anything. All I know is that is wasn't there a week before testing. So how much can I trust this result, PCR? I applied zinc oxide cream the night it was tested and it reduced it a lot overnight and was nearly gone another day later, but a slight red mark stayed for s few days after. Can zinc oxide cream help to heal herpes. My concern is that my negative blood test for hsv2 at 14.4 weeks post exposure was too early and  I hadn't seroconverted yet. What are my options from here. I was thinking to get blood tests done again as it has now been 7 months since that encounter and that could rule that out as a possible cause if I'm still negative. I will also keep checking and get tested if any more symptoms occur. Thanks
I think you have convinced yourself that you had to have contracted something from this encounter and you've settled on herpes as the likely suspect.

really, not everything that goes on in our genital area is std related.  at this point be seen every time you have symptoms for further evaluation.  
I know I know. I just need to know if you think the -ve result after 14.4 weeks can be reliable pls. Thank you so much for all your help:)