test result confusion
my question is this...does Valtrex influence the results of a herpes select IgG test?

My PCP did a screening, type specific Herpes Select IgG test and the results for HSV2 were 3.0 or higher. I was shocked. And confused. It didnt make sense.

I called my Obgyn to have the test redone and she refused. She wanted me to accept my diagnosis and start the Valtrex daily. I have never had any signs or symptoms. So I did as I  was told.

At my annual obgyn exam, I asked again to have the test repeated and this time (same test-type specific, herpes select, IgG) the results for HSV 2 were .046. So, negative.

I asked her what I was supposed to do. She said the results were because the Valtrex influenced the test. But from my understanding, Valtrex submisses the virus and the IgG test tests for antibodies. Arent they two different things?

This entire year has been a nightmare. My PCP told me with the orginal diagnosis that I was positive but not active, and therefore not contagious. She said I was exposed and had antibodies but since I had HSV-1 (since I was a kid) my body was able to 'fight off' the virus. My own research on the HSV virus suggests this is ****! If you have the antibodies and are exposed you have the virus, it might be inactive but you can still be contagious as there is no way to know about asymptomatic shedding.

So I dont know what to do. My instinct is to stop taking the Valtrex and get the test repeated. IS this a waste of time?
Does Valtrex influence the test results?
How can you have one positive (and such a high number) and then one negative result?
I dont actually know the numbers for the first test result. She said they were "around 3"... I see the post where it says if its between 1.0-3.5 its a grey area.....so my statement of 3.0 or higher isnt accurate. Lets just say it was 3.0.
Going on suppressive therapy after a + result, wouldn't affect future results that much. One study showed that it can lower igg results by10% but that isn't enough to go from a true positive to a negative on the blood test.

so what do you do now?

Well my recommendation is, if you have a regular partner and they haven't been tested yet, get them tested. If they are hsv2 negative then consider stopping the valtrex and getting a herpes WB blood test done to confirm your status.

grace
how do you get that test done? the wb blot?
Let's just stick to this post instead of having 2 going on at one time. too confusing with more than 1 post - thanks!

Give your doctor a call and ask them if they can order the herpes western blot test for you. If they use quest labs, it's test # 34534.

grace