Herpes Community
tests

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

tests

what is the best type of blood test to request?  is there a specific lab that has a better test?

thank you
The very best test is the Western Blot from the University of Washington. Your doctor can order it for you, by calling the number on this page:

http://depts.washington.edu/herpes/faq.php#faqCat-4

However, it will be a little more costly and will take a little longer for results. The next best is the IgG, but the HerpeSelect ELISA, which is the one mostly used, has been discovered to have problems in recent years. I hope this helps.
Thank you for your response.  I am on Valtrex suppressant therapy.  Can I take the tests while on valtrex?  or how long do I need to be off med?

Thanks so much
Why are you taking Valtrex? What are your symptoms? Did you have a breakout swabbed?
Fleetwood ~ we spoke back in the fall.  I'm on valtrex for suppressant tx since new relationship.  I think I need confirmation of exactly what I have since dx'd so long ago and I don't have the copies of the tests.  
I have not had any out breaks since first one.  Maybe couple instances of infections/itching but not sores.  And so, so long ago.  
Just trying to figure out how to deal with this in new relationship.  

Can I do the tests while on valtrex?

either western blot or IgG

Thanks again
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers