Herpes Expert Forum
tingling in penis

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

tingling in penis

I'm a circumsized 27 year male who 7 weeks ago had unprotected oral sex and dry humping with a woman I just met, without any intercourse. The next day I began to feel a tingling sensation just under the head of my penis all the way around. It was constant and also had a pain (noticeable but not uncomfortable)in one specific spot. Also I noticed brown pathes of skin on the head and shaft of my penis. After I asked her if she had anything she she told me she didn't. This was constant for 10 days after which I went to the doctor who said to just wait and see if anything else appears because he didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  After about 5-6 weeks the tingling started to subsize but the pain at the one point just below the head of my penis remains, as due the brown patches.  I haven't seen any bumps, lesions or red marks. Of course when I read the STD forms I begin to feel a tingling all around my genitals but my guess that is in my head.  I've been traveling around South America the last months and won't return to the US for another two to get fully tested.  Any advise on what I could have the only thing I could see it being is maybe herpes.  Your opinion would be very helpful to get some feedback from an American doctor or nurse.  
So I"m assuming that she gave you oral sex, not the other way around?  Have you ever in your life had a cold sore?  If yes, then it is highly unlikely that you would get oral herpes in a new place on your body (your genitals).  If not, I still think it is unlikely because you aren't reporting anything but tingling, and if you had acquired herpes, I would expect, since you are observing carefully, sores or breaks in the skin that you might be more likely to notice.  Also, herpes doesn't last this long, especially without sores.  The brown patches, my guess is, might have been there previously but were not noticed.  Do you think that's possible?  Sometimes people really start examining their genitals more carefully when they have an exposure that they consider risky.

Safe travels.  Nothing you've said would worry me if a patient in my practice said the same things with a basically normal looking exam.  When you get home, you can get a full STD screen and start to feel more reassured.

Terri
Terri,

Thank you for the quick response, it was reassuring .  Yes I've had cold sores on my mouth before. The oral sex was reciprocal, but I had been more concerned about the genital contact we had during the dry humping.  I suppose the brown patches could have been there before. I don't think there was anything that I saw that looked like the photos of herpes I've seen on the internet  At least not near any tingling or painful area. Thank you again for your feedback, do you have a recommendation on the tests I should get when I return to the US?  
Our full STD screen includes HSV 1 and 2, Hepatitis B and C (though you may have been vaccinated for B already, given your age), gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis and HIV.  Gonorrhea and chlamydia are done from urine, the others from blood.  

The dry humping, without clothes I presume, present a little risk for genital herpes, but quite little.  

Terri