transmission
I had unprotected sex 2 nights ago.  Prior to intercourse I was fin. I had no outbreak nor prodrome symptoms.  Sex was vigorous and toward the end I developed some friction irritation.  I know an outbreak can be caused by friction but can the virus be transmitted at that moment the irritation appears? I was perfectly fine before and during the first part of intercourse.  
Hi Scared, the thing with herpes is that it doesnt take much of a skin opening for the virus to enter the blood. If the friction burn exposed blood vessle entry then yes to could be transmitted at that time
Even if he had no open tears on his genitals??
You dont need a visible open tear for the virus to enter. Why are you worried?
For obvious reason..i know we should have used protection but regardless I wouldn't want to give it to him.
are you likely to have transmitted your genital herpes infection to a partner from a one time encounter with no symptoms present? no you are not.   did you disclose your herpes status with this partner prior to sex?

since you had unprotected sex, you should be covering your own std testing bases so that you make sure you didn't pick up any new infections from this partner. you can test for chlamydia, gonorrhea and trich any time after 1 week post encounter. syphilis after 6 weeks. herpes, hiv and hepatitis after 3 months.  

grace
No Grace, I irresponsibly did not and I know that's wrong, but regardless, like I said, I was perfectly fine before. No symptoms of an outbreak or problems until during the last part of sex. It was very rough and I did have some vaginal tears. I don't know how to approach this after the fact. It's a very complicated situation!  
Let me add this also....I'd been married 25 years and NEVER transmitted the virus to my husband.  But, saying that, we never had sex like that either!!
really the risk to you of having contracted a bacterial std from having had unprotected sex is far greater than the risk that you transmitted your herpes. don't get caught up in worrying about your herpes and forgetting about your own health!!!  We recommend always having protected sexual contact whether you have herpes or not!
Thank you for your help. It's hard not to worry. Being back out in the dating scene is very hard after 25 years and I've talked to a couple of male friends about this and they have told me that they would "run like hell" if a woman told them they had herpes. I just am lost and confused and nervous and I've never had to do this before. I was diagnosed at age 19 2 months after my husband and I were married. I'd made a bad choice and trusted someone I shouldn't have prior to getting married.
most people  never bother to educate themselves about herpes and how low the risk to them is.  the risk to a male over the course of an entire year with only taking the precaution of avoiding sex during obvious genital symptoms is 4% which is very low.  People just hear herpes and panic unfortunately :(

I know symptoms can show up as soon as two days but what is the window of exposure and outbreak?
2-20 days.  have you read the free herpes handbook yet?
No.  Where do I find that?
link is in our read before posting post.