valtrex effectiveness

In the case of HSV2 in a woman. If she takes Valtrex, to what degree with that reduce transmission to a partner? I have difficulty with condoms so my preference is to be in a monogamous relationship where both partners are tested and can have sex safely and freely. She has herpes, we think (getting retested next week) but I do not. Is valtrex a viable solution? Are there other solutions?

Thank you!
Valtrex , if she takes it suppressively every single day, will reduce your risk by half.  If you are a male and she is female then that's a 98% chance of NOT contracting hsv2 each year. To put it in context - her risk of getting preggers on the pill each year is 1% an dif you don't like condoms I"m guessing you are ok with that risk right?

grace

Would it have to be every day? what if she only took the valtrex during the periods we were active sexually? Just curious.. I only see her every other week.

What if condoms were added to the  valtrex mix.. risk of transmission goes down to 1% right?

No she has to take it everyday.   do you only see each other very infrequently like once every few months or something?  It takes at least 5 days to "kick in".  In the valtrex and transmission study - about 3/4's of the folks who transmitted hsv2 to their partners - weren't taking their valtrex every single day.  If you factor those folks out - the risk of transmission is even lower. The most important parts are remembering to take the medication and avoiding sex whenever anything is going on in the genital area.  

Yes that is correct - 1% risk if you throw condoms in too.

grace