Herpes Community
wanna have baby

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

wanna have baby

hi everyone..both i n my partner had genital HSV2 n we've never taken any suppressive therapy coz we just noticed about it..we planned to get married next year.my question is
a)can we have baby n how to avoid from transmitting herpes to the baby
b)when we can start taking suppressive therapy?

thanks...
have you both  been tested to know your own status for sure?

unless you are having bothersome or frequent recurrences, no reason for suppressive therapy since you both have it.  

since you've had hsv2 prior to becoming pregnant, the risk to your baby isn't an issue until the time of delivery.  Suppressive therapy in the pregnancy doses can be started for the last month of pregnancy to help reduce the risk of having a recurrence near the time of pregnancy. No obvious lesions at the time of labor and the risk of transmitting hsv2 to the baby during labor is less than 1%. should you have a recurrence at the time of labor, a c section will be done to protect your baby.

the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com is a free resource and has a whole section on pregnancy for more reading.

keep asking questions!

grace