Herpes Community
western blot?? biokit??

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

western blot?? biokit??

I just received terrible news that i am positive for HSV2 (1.84). I have been reading a lot about false positive and want to invest in getting the western blot test or a biokit done. I have searched the internet high and low for information on how to get these test done and have not found legit instructions. Should i consult with my doctor about it? ( some say you MUST so through QUEST < i have no idea what quest is either. also i cannot find any info in the rapid biokit test. will my OBGYN provide both of these test for me if i ask? one more thing... should i wait to get them done? my last sexual encounter was 4 weeks ago.  
Definitely I would go for a WB if you want solid confirmation. Quest is the lab that produces the tests and processes them. You local clinic draws the blood, sends it off to Quest Labs, and a few days later Quest sends the results back to your local clinic.

There is a number to request for the WB test, do some serches here and you wil find it.
at this point, you need to wait and repeat your igg testing 3 or 4 months after you last had sex. testing 1 month post encounter is far too early to confirm a false positive with the WB or a biokit.

quest labs doesn't do the herpes WB.  Most quest labs however will draw your blood and send it to the U of washington for you. If your local quest lab won't, stop back and we can give you more info on how to get the WB should your repeat herpes igg blood testing still be in the false positive range.

grace
thanks for answering. Over the past week I have thought of every single ache and pain I have ever had. Since i was a little girl i would constantly have problems with my tonsils. over the past few years when I get sick i have developed red bumps in the back of my throat along with the usual white specs on my tonsils. this always accompanies nasal congestion and headache. only the bumps are new. I just assumed it was part of the tonsillitis. could this be the Herpes 2? I thought type two was only in genitals. if i had it in the throat, could it be isolated there? or could it still show up later on my genitals?  
no, you don't have hsv2 orally since you were a little girl causing you throat issues.
found a Quest where i live? can i simply walk in with my western blot kit and get my blood drawn? or do i have to get it ordered by i doctor before i can walk in there?
you will need an order from your provider to have it drawn.
My recent encounter just tested negative for HSV2. before that it has been 2 years since I had sex (it was protected; he also tested negative) and 14 months since I gave oral ( unknown status). I am pretty sure i am also negative. but my question is.. is it possible to have a low score for so long ( if i had contracted it orally 14 months ago?
yes it is but you need to confirm your infection with further testing to know if you are infected or not.