Herpes Community
why does herpes cause back/butt pain?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

why does herpes cause back/butt pain?

Hey Grace, I have a question about herpes.  Why is it that it causes lower back, butt, perineum, and back of thigh pain/numbness?  I know that it hides in the nerves of your spine....could this cause the sciatia like nerve pain?

Also, why does herpes cause pressure in your lower abdomen?

Thanks so much!
Pressure in your lower abdomen? Hmmm, not sure about that one but as far as back pain and leg pain, herpes lives in the nerves like you said and when you get it genitally, sometimes the nerves that share where the herpes is gets affected by the virus and you can wind up with pain in certain parts of the lower body... Everyone is different how the virus will affect you. It's like catching a cold, some people get a cough and a runny nose where some people just get a sore throat! Virus's are not understabable by humans quite yet but once Grace and I figure out how they operate, we will let you know but till then, it can affect all sorts of places and some people get zero symptoms :)
so are you saying that it's the herpes that is actually attacking the nerves and causing the pain or is it your own immune system attacking your nerves in an attempt to get to the herpes.

because as of now, this pain is really annoying and quite painful.  i hope it's just part of the initial outbreak.
The herpes virus lives in the nerves!!! The virus themselves can cause pains throughout points attached to that nerve ganglion. How were you diagnosed with Herpes and what are your symptoms etc..
slacker when you and I figure out herpes - we are blowing this clambake and retiring to some nice secluded island where we can work on our skin cancer, have our chef make us delicious food all day long and I'm burying my nose in smut books and relaxing!!!

grace
nick - pain this bad needs follow up on.  just pain and no obvious lesions would be very unusual so don't assume it's all from the herpes infection we don't even know if you actually  have or not.

grace
I'm wondering the same thing. I contracted herpes only a few months ago and the pain was excruciating. I could barely sit on the toilet. My legs are very sensitive to the touch and I get shooting pains through my thighs. I'm curious why so many people are reporting this and doctors keep saying it has nothing to do with the virus, and that it must be another underlying issue. Why us the pain only present around the time of an outbreak if that is true?
I have had herpes for nearly 22 years now and only in the last year has the pain been present on the back of my legs and butt area. I've been trying to find out what the long term effects of this virus is with no luck. Hopefully one day they will come up with a cure for this virus (if they haven't already) because the frequency of the outbreaks is increasing along with the pain. One other thing I have noticed is that these last few outbreaks seem to also cause my penis to have darkened splotches that are slightly tender to the touch.  
Ive had it longer and in the last two years have been fighting this pain in back of thighs and butt, my doctors think its my back, i have a really messed up lower spine but none of the shots theyve tried do anything for this terrible burning pain, makes it impossible to sit at work without pain meds....what can i take? do any of the hepes drugs help you?   ive no sores or anyhting, ive been taking acyclovir everyday for almost 30 years and never get any outbreaks....does this sound like your problem?
Burning in the pereneum,butt cheeks, backs of thighs , under the testicles and like a little sweating that feels like major chafing, using a lot of baby powder everyday too?
corybaby paininbutt