Herpes Community
worried about getting hsv1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

worried about getting hsv1

Hello.  2 weeks ago I stupidly ate a piece of my friends burger.  She didnt want it anymore and it had been sitting for an hour.  I cut piece of the burger off but there was still a piece on there that she had bitten off of.  The next day she has a full on cold sore that I hadnt noticed the night before.  One of my other friends hadn't noticed her cold sore and shared some water with her. A few days later we were both sick.  Flu like symptoms but also accompanied with a cough and stuffy nose.  My boyfriend also got sick but I hadnt kissed him.  We only shared a cigarette.  I was wondering if I actually got sick or if these were probably signs of my first outbreak.  I haven't had any sores as of yet though.  Im just really confused especially because my boyfriend got sick as well.
Hey Kelly,

Herpes is very contagious, I don't know what to say. I don't know how likely it is to catch coldsore from sharing a burger even a tiny bit. But sharing cups is a sure thing. U do transmit that virus from sharing cups.

It is a social stigma about cold sores. Its really not that big of deal. Its like all of us having a cold. It is a virus. Do not let that get you down. People are starting to learn it is a sickness and nothing like omg that person is nasty cause they have a cold sore.

Hope this helps.
The post above isn't too accurate, so I'll chime in.

HSV-1 or cold sores is transmitted through romantic kisses, not from objects or food at this age. It's likely that your roommate is also sick with a cold, hence the name "cold sore", and you got a cold from her, not HSV-1. You probably passed this cold to your boyfriend. You really have no reason to think this is herpes.