Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) Community
Hidradenitis Suppurativa

Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) is a chronic disease of a type of sweat gland. It can occur in one or multiple areas of your body. HS usually develops in your armpits, groin and anal area. It causes long-term skin inflammation and can be painful. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Hidradenitis Suppurativa

I was diagnosed with this problem about 6 or 7 years ago.  I spent plenty of afteroons with the dermatologist.  I have had scrubs, creams, antibiotics and anti-inflammatories prescribed for me, and nothing works.  I have since stopped seeing the doctor because the bills were getting too expensive, and it these useless prescriptions were a waste of a lot of money.  For a long time I was using over the counter benzoyl peroxide scrubs and creams, and they seemed to be doing a decent job, but I think my skin has become  immune to it, so its less effective now.  I'm tired of this.  I primary get these boils/absesses under my arms and breasts.  My underarms are so inflamed most of the time that I am not comfortable wearing sleeveless shirts in public.  Most days its uncomfortable to wear a bra because the boils are so inconveniently placed that bras rub and irritate.  I don't have the money to go back to the doctor for more experimental drugs.  But I'd like to be comfortable in my own skin (no pun intended) again someday... but I really don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I know Hidradenitis Suppurativa is incurable.  But surely there has to be something I can do thats not so pricey that will help keep the problem areas relatively clear.
Please help.
Thanks.
- Ashley
Type in hidradenitis Suppurativa and celiac disease or gluten intolerance.  You'll find plenty of information on these sites.  For some people, gluten alone, when removed from the diet, cures the problem.  For others, milk products and gluten cure it and other both plus other foods.    For others they get a lot of relief, but not a total cure.  Some people get relief, but have slight flares around the time of their periods.  The immune system is obviously involved.   Type in nutrient deficiencies and HS and see if supplements plus the above diet might help.  I sincerely hope this helps.  Keep looking for answers.
Hidradenitis suppurativa is a skin disease that affects areas bearing apocrine sweat glands and hair follicles; such as the underarms, groin and buttocks esp in women.

Apply warm compresses on the lumps and keep the area clean. Topical antiseptic treatment and topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment is very useful.If still the lumps persist then specific treatment like antibiotics, vit A supplements, corticosteroid injections, isotretinoin, antiandrogens and sometimes excision and drainage ,laser therapy and radiotherapy are found useful. I feel that you should consult a dermatologist and discuss these options with him.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.