Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) Community
Is HS associated with thyroid problems

Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) is a chronic disease of a type of sweat gland. It can occur in one or multiple areas of your body. HS usually develops in your armpits, groin and anal area. It causes long-term skin inflammation and can be painful. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Is HS associated with thyroid problems

Hypothyroid in particular? Thanks
Hi, I have been on the thyroid community for awhile and not sure about the answer to your question, but so glad you asked here because it's a good question.  Hoping others will stop by.  I'm a Co- Community Leader for Thyroid and will post there asking members to stop by here if they know.

C~
I've posted your ? here  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/-Hidradenitis-Suppurativa-HS---Thyroid-/show/1900721 on the Thyroid Community asking members to stop by here on your thread .

WELCOME~

C~
I don't know if there's a direct relationship or not; I've guess I've had HS for most of my life and didn't know it had a special name; I simply called it acne, as in the case of blackheads (or pimples that contain pus or clear liquid)...... I've also had boils (which occur at hair follicles (ingrown hairs)), all my life. I've had both, nearly everywhere on my body, at one time or another.  I've only been hypothyroid for 5 years, so I wouldn't really connect HS with hypothyroidism, at least in my case.

I do sometimes get "bumps" under the skin, that swell up and get very tender, but don't produce any pus or other fluid. One was filled, only, with blood....... yeesh....... I don't connect it to hypothyroid, because my thyroid levels are good...... that's not to say there is no connection; just don't feel there's one in my case.
Thanks to you both, I hadn't seen this HS forum til now, so thought I'd throw it out there. I had a doctor tell me that HS and hypo went hand in hand sometimes, also a friends doctor has said that, but every doctor since has denied it so thought I'd ask....thanks
This disease is poorly studied so the cause of Hidradenitis suppurativa remains unknown. Research is assessing possible relationship between HS and Hashimoto's thyroiditis (the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the developed world), Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and squamous cell carcinoma.

To date, the genes known to be contributing to autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Graves' disease) fall into two categories: immune regulatory genes (including HLA, CTLA4, PTPN22, CD40, CD25, and FCRL3) and thyroid-specific genes (TG and TSHR).

A few blogs that are very interesting...

"Is there a genetic connection? I believe there is. By genetics, I don’t necessarily mean inheritable (although there does seem to be many cases where HS runs in families, it is not so in ours). It seems to me that research into other conditions such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Plaque Psoriasis, Crohn’s and other diseases place HS along the same lines. Links to the PTPN22 gene. Which is why so many of the biologic drugs used for those conditions, such as adalimumab (Humira), etanercept (Enbrel), and infliximab (Remicade) show promise for HS sufferers."

***

Excerpts from "Putting Hidradenitis Suppurativa Into Remission"....

"I decided to ask Loren Cordain about HS when I interviewed him at the AHS last summer. He mentioned that he thought HS might have an autoimmune component but other than that, he didn’t have any information. The fact that he had heard of it at all was reassuring. Plus he had mentioned a very pertinent word: Autoimmune.

Autoimmune condition. Autoimmunity. Autoimmune protocol."

"It’s also easy to forget that traditional doctors don’t know much about autoimmune conditions, either. Sure, we realize that they don’t know much about nutrition and its impact on health, but deep down we frantically hope to whatever Gods we pray to that they know something. When we have a serious condition or an emergency – something that stops us from living our lives – it’s usually to a doctor that we will turn.

Could getting rid of a disease I had been suffering from for over two decades be that simple? I had heard Robb Wolf talking about autoimmune conditions on his podcast, and I knew that he had an autoimmune protocol on his website. Since I was already mostly Paleo, I immediately started cutting out potential hazards, starting with dairy and nuts. No change.  During this time, I discovered that my children’s psoriasis was caused by nightshades. I eliminated all nightshades from the family’s diet and…that’s all it took.

My kids haven’t had a psoriasis flare-up for over 6 months. The last HS outbreak I had was on October 22 of last year. It was also the last time I ate potatoes. I have managed to keep my HS in complete remission for over 5 months by just avoiding a single food group. A food group that has itself deeply entrenched in the Standard American Diet – and even the diet of some of the most devout Paleo followers."
I forgot to add that the first excerpt from "Hidradenitis Suppurativa Support and Information's Journal"
Thanks for the info. I had recently wondered if it was autoimmune related due to the fact that it does seem it's gone into "remission" at times. I did also note though, that it seemed to flare up at the times in my life when I was most HYPO.
It seems wikipedia has updated their page about it possibly being autoimmune related. I wondered about hypo becuse I have heard from some doctors it IS related and other recent docs think I am crazy.